7 weeks post TKR. all going well but for the back of the knee!

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am doing quite well, been signed off from physio and consultant said im doing better than most.  I'm driving (just) and managing without a stick around the house.  BUT the back of my operated knee hurts a LOT when i bend up or move around in bed, or depress the clutch.  I've massaged and used heat pads, which does help slightly.  I'm only taking 3 doses of paracetemol and 1 small ibuprofen through the day.  Perhaps i should take more?  Does anyone else experience this - and I am realising its still very early days but just wearing me down after doing so well.  thanks guys x

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Elaine94716, I am too 7 weeks and experiencing the same thing. Its absolutely awful during the night.  I have got some arnica sports gel and Im giving it a go.  Unfortunately both heat and ice dont help me.  Im seeing my consultant this afternoon and going to ask the question.  I am taking co-codamol and ibuprofen and its helping slightly. Maybe increase your meds a little as i know i couldnt manage on what your taking.  Will update you as to what the consultant says it might be.  Keep positive x
    • Posted

Thanks cheeky32. I'll look forward to hearing what they say. X

• Posted

Hi, just got back from seeing my consultant and I'm soooo much more positive now. When I went through all my concerns he held my hand and said "if you could see what we do to you in theatre with this operation you wouldn't have it done. It's brutal and the healing process is tough and takes time" He explained that the pain I'm experiencing is most likely a spasm, everything is coming back to life and it's just letting me know that it still needs care, ice and pain meds. He's advised me to stop using the crio-cuff as it's now too cold and use a packet of peas wrapped in a tea towel. Apparently they mould around the knee better so you can get ice where it's needed the most, and they stay at 0 degrees which is perfect. I'm really disappointed to be at 95 deg bend at 7 weeks but he is over the moon, telling me not to panic it will come. I'm feeling so much more positive than I did , I know I have a fabulous consultant who doesn't just tell me what I want to hear, he's honest (sometimes too honest) which I admire. I guess we all just have to keep positive, do as we are told and don't be so hard on ourselves when we are having a bad day. It's ok to sit and cry, or shout or eat lots of chocolate. Hopefully things will get better for us all in the coming weeks. As I left his office he shouted at me "7 weeks of hell gone, not gonna get worse only better, keep going forward". I know he's right, keep positive we can get through this xx

• Posted

Oh that sounds encouraging. I had heard this is a brutal operation, indeed I have watched the entire thing on you tube! It is absolutely traumatic for the body. They basically cut off your leg and reattach with the new joint lots of hammering and drilling plus the muscles and nerves are cut. No wonder we get twinges of pain thanks for responding and wishing you a good recovery xx
  • Posted

Elaine, I just hit 8 wks tkr. My knee is doing okl with recovery, but like you, I have pain as well. Mainly on the side and tingly nerves on top. Hard to get much more than 4 hrs sleep. I've been told by many others that it all will go away with time. I have faith it will. Hang in there, this support group is awesome.

• Posted

You're getting 4 hours sleep!!!!

im 16 weeks And never had more than 2.5 at a stretch.

Sooo jealous

• Posted

Still early and you will experience a lot of "feelings".  Try some Voltaren Gel (RX in the US)...great topical anti-inflammatory.  Works in 15 minutes.  Do NOT give up on your exercises.  I have lots of posts out there...find some answers...

• Posted

I to am 7 weeks and had my last physio at the hospital, bend is fine 110d but straightening is weak, I had a bent knee for several years so although corrected at surgery wants to resort back to my comfort zone. No strong muscle there, so have to work on quads and hamstrings and remember to walk correctly heel toe and bend. I'm very despondent and tired of being house bound. Told to do very little walking and concentrate on exercise, icing and rest.  My next knee is booked in for replacement on July 25th, I could run for the hills but I suppose needs must otherwise the bad knee will pull down the one that's been replaced😩😩😩I'm going to have to dig very deep.  Good luck with yours 😀

• Posted

Thanks Jackie. Yeh I bet you could run for the hills, I left mine 2 years and really wish I hadn't as it's held me back and consequently the quad in the 2nd knee is like a tooth pick as Chico says!  The pain behind my knee is f thing gradually better although I've yet to sleep through the whole night.  At least we still have our legs though eh!  Good luck for yours in July. Let us know how it goes xx

• Posted

predicfive test nightmare! Should have said my knee is gradually getting better don't know where the extra bit came from! 

• Posted

Hi Elaine,

Thank you for that good you are gradually improving.  My physio has given me extra exercises for hamstring to be done three times a day.. The thing I find most confusing he tells me not to walk on the knee very often, to exercise, ice, elevate and rest as it is still early days.  My Consultant last week told me the opposite to walk and work through the pain, so I really don't know what to do for the best, I like to work on a clear directive so don't know which way to jump, what do you thinkxx

• Posted

I would compromise, and be definite about it.
    • Posted

I would listen to what your body is telling you. Gentle stretching and the usual physio can't hurt take the meds ice elevate what more can you do. Als remember to drink lots of water to hydrate the muscles. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.