7+ weeks post TKR scar still very tight

Posted , 9 users are following.

This site has been wonderful, I am so glad I found it. It's 3 am in

UK and as lots of you state sleep is a nightmare. I still take tramadol at night but manage thru the day.

One of my concerns is how tight my scar is? It healed well and

I'm using bio oil twice a day to massage the scar but it feels so

tight as if I haven't enough 'give'. It is one of the reasons I'm not

sleeping and any advice would be great.

3 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Good morning.

The reason your scar is tight is down to the scar UNDER your scar.  When they sew you up they do it in layers.  To get through the pain you must keep bend your knee; as far back as you can bear and hold, release and stretch your leg out and hold, all the while tightening your muscles.  Give yourself a count to 10 and start again. (two exercises in one) Keep massaging as it also helps calm the nerves that are also healing and although you may not realise it, are also causing your discomfort. It may well be the nerves and not the scar that is causing the itching.  Lying in bed id a great place to do this exercise.  Try sliding your foot towards you backside and hold, then slide back towards the bottom of your bed, stretching your muscles.

One last idea.  Sitting on a chair (say at breakfast/lunch etc) pull your operated leg under the chair and hold it in place with your good leg.  You should be able to push back and release as needed and may progress even further than you think. So long as your stretch your leg out, you can do it til you get bored (Just dont go gung ho)

• Posted

I ended up sleeping with a pillow underneath my knee and also putting a cold flannell on it when I woke in the night.

I had always been such a good sleeper and problems with sleeping was something I simply did not anticipate. Maybe I should have done.

Even now 3 years later I still do not sleep as well as I did before I had my knee replacement. It just seems to have changed my pattern of sleep.

Though I do not actually wake up in pain anymore.

I think it is just something we have to deal with.

Hope this helps

Sarah xxx

• Posted

I have tried so many times to put a pillow under my knee or between my knees, without success. I have always been a left side sleeper and my left knee had the TKR. I end up having to sleep (hahaha) on my back, propped up about 40 degrees.
    • Posted

I know everyone on this site says ice, ice, ice, but have you tried using a wheatie bag. Popped into the microwave and then on your knee. The heat is soothing (more so if it has lavender spritzed on it), it moulds to the contours of your knee so you can lay on your side or back, with just a small amount of pressure but not uncomfortable
    • Posted

Use a wheaie bag, you don't have to have it heated (it can be cold too), but is stays in place.  You can also get one with cherry pips, am told it is very beneficial
    • Posted

Wheatie bag??

Wouldn't the heat be bad for swelling?

• Posted

Yes, you're right. Heat is not good for swelling. You want to ice it to bring the swelling down. That's what my surgeon and PT both said.
  • Posted

Massage, massage, massage!!! You can also move your knee cap up and down and from side to side. The scar tissue affects this too. I thought my PT was nuts when she started doing this but surprise, surprise, it felt good, and also helped with bending and that tight feeling. I am 22 weeks PO and still do this. Not so much with the knee cap, since it moves quite well on its own.  I have continued to massage my leg and knee, as it still gets stiff and sore at times. This TKR is a b-tch of a surgery and the recoup time is forever. At least it feels that way. Somehow we manage to get through the pain, the sleeplessness, and all the other stuff they didn't tell us about. Hang in there, things will get better.
    • Posted

Thanks, your adv is very welcome

saw consultant today who said bend was as good as it gets but that scar had to be managed by massage until Xmas!

• Posted

So nice in a way to see people saying things about whst you are going through. Six weeks Monday coming since knee op and it's the night thst sre the worst. I go to bed about 10 ish back up just after midnight then trying all night to get back to sleep. Not bad pain just so uncomfortable tight and hot knee. Glad to have read your comments and no that I am not alone. Spoke to my outreach nurse today and says it could go on for 6 months. Going to go swimming next week see if that helps. Thanks for your comments.
    • Posted

Find a hydropool, the water is heated and they do physio classes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.