7 weeks post toe fusion

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a big toe fusion on 16th January, I have rested it patiently and have been without pain for about three weeks. However, yesterday I started getting pain through the joint that was quite severe. I am due to have the cast removed this week, and a bit nervous of what to expect! Anyone else had similar recovery from this op? confused

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had big toe fusion on right foot last October. It seemed a slow recovery while still in the plaster. There was a lot of relief when the plaster came off with improvement as time went past. Now there is just a twinge now and again. 

I had the left foot done 3 days ago after much thought was I doing the right thing. This time recovery from the op was much better and pain much less. 

I hope you get some relief when your plaster comes off and in time you will be pain free. 

• Posted

Thanks, yes I was prepared for a long recovery but just a bit concerned that pain restarted. You are very brave having your other foot done so soon! Good luck, I hope you feel better soon, one of the toughest things is keeping your spirits up. Thank goodness for books and sky boxsets haha!
    • Posted

How are you getting on with your bilateral toe fusions ? it's something I may have to consider in the future any advice.

• Posted

Recovering well from the fusion 5 weeks ago. The plaster slipper comes off in 8 days time and I cant wait. I am walking with no problem, just a bit slower than usual. On the first foot I had done last October although still expect more improvement I am wearing my normal shoes. There is no movement in big toe so will not be able to wear high heels but I am happy with that. After suffering years of pain in both feet and limited in type of shoes to wear I am looking forward to the future. So pleased I had the surgery. 
    • Posted

I'm glad to hear your happy with your surgery.

I had bilateral osteotomies 8 months ago for Hallux Rigidus and had nothing but trouble. Had revision surgery 8 weeks ago early days but living in hope rather than expectation.

So think it is likely fusions down the road keep me informed with your progress as I've a real phobia of fusions although surgeons say it's a good operation .

• Posted

Christine,

Hope your well and looking coward to the removal of the cast. I am really waiting in anticipation to communicate with some one who has had a bilateral big toe fusion.

Today I'm in so much pain I think I would bite someone's hand off for a fusion if it relieved the pain. Look forward to hearing from you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.