7 weeks tkr

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone. I'm at 7 weeks now. And although I am improving at a snails pace. I know I'm better than 2 weeks ago so heading in the right direction. I put off this op for many years and because of that and previous surgery it's going to be a long haul. I am 57 and have severe chronic arthritis in all my joints I have wires in my fingers and had basal thumb surgery amongst others. The reason I'm sharing this is because as tough as this tkr is It's the strain the physio and recovery is putting on my already painful other joints and I'm finding it incredibly difficult to keep the exercises going . I am icing. Using heat and taking pain relief. But everything hurts. Can I ask please if any of you kind people had to cope with this as well? consultant thinks I should have the other knee done as soon as I'm recovered and I'm not sure it's worth it when all my joints are screaming at me! I am a widow and I can't deny it's all getting to much for me. That and my boss being quite difficult as wants me back at work. Hospital signed me off for another 6 weeks and I'm terrified to tell him! Sorry to be a misery. My arthritis is really peaking and I'm concerned I won't be able to go by to work. thanks for listening to me go on!

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

Feel very sorry for you, feel guilty for moaning about my knee just because I twisted it. Would not like to have a knee op. Hope it gets better real soon 😜
    • Posted

thank you. please don't feel bad. I'm grateful for your reply. Sometimes it just all gets to much. Wishing you well with your knee. X
  • Posted

What a horrible situation!  Boss wants you back at work?  He has obviously never had a TKR!  At seven weeks your healing process is at the very beginning, and even with another six weeks that's only 13 weeks . . You need to insist on four  months as an absolute minimum especially with all your other problems!  It does throw a terrible strain on the rest of the body, even the major surgery does that to the system, and then the crutches play havoc with the hands and the shoulders.  Don;t be afraid to tell your boss you'll need a LOT longer to get over this brutal operation!  You are the one who needs sympathy and understanding here, and if your absence is causing him hassle, it's nothing compared with what you are putting up with!  I hope you'll soon be feeling better. .I;m also at seven weeks, and was trying to come off tramadol now, but not so sure after today . . .It's hard to find the energy and resolve to do the exercises . . Good luck . .what a sorry lot we are!
    • Posted

Thank you for your words of comfort it means a lot to me. As I'm finding it very isolating. And only people who go through this really know what it's like. I'm really scared about losing my job as I'm not yet retirement age and can't support myself. my boss send me some homework by email for courses I've missed. And I just feel so pressured. But life at work could be difficult if I don't keep on the right side of him. In all honesty I wish I hadn't had this op as in the bigger scheme of things it's like shutting the gate after the horse has bolted. But I'm hoping in time to be proved wrong. All best wishes to you. X
    • Posted

Are you UK or USA?  Hope you can get your boss to see sense . . and realise that you are not just malingering.  Thank heavens we are retired, so we don't have that problem, and honestly, just getting over this operation is all the grief we need without the added worry of the job!
    • Posted

I've been away from the UK for a long time, but surely your job is protected if you are on genuine sick leave?  I do hope so, because you really need time to heal!
  • Posted

Oh Jayne you poor soul.  As others have said, this op is bad enough without all the other problems your arthritis is causing.  Your boss sounds like a very unsympathetic person.  Maybe if he looked at the YouTube video of the op he may have a small amount of understanding of the pain you are going through and the amount of healing your body has to do.  7 weeks is very early in your recovery.  I'm at nearly 7 months and for the first three wondered why the hell I had it done. Now though I am pleased I did as I can walk with none to very little pain.  I'm sure there's something that says your boss cannot force you back for genuine sick leave.  Check out the governments website it may help.  I wish you all the very best.  Take care lovey xx
  • Posted

They say, "A trouble shared is a trouble halved." We can't share your awful pain but we do grieve for you and can send prayers and good thoughts to you, Jayne. Are you too young to consider retiring?

• Posted

Hallo Jayne - really feel for you! Sounds as though your arthritis is worse than mine,  though it is pretty widespread in my hands spine hips and knees (had a new hip 18 months ago and knee this Jan) It may comfort you that the hospital and physios have told me the knee op could result in pain in my low back, hips and other knee because the operated leg was straightened and my whole body is in the process of re-adjusting to the changes! So hopefully some of the pain you are feeling will pass as the knee improves - am certainly hoping this will be the case......
    • Posted

Thank you tess. It's very comforting to have someone who knows just what this damn arthritis is like. I to live in hope that one day I can post how pleased I am I had it done! But I know it's still quite early days and then hopefully the rest of my body will settle down a bit. All the best to you and thank you for your reply. X
    • Posted

Hi Tess

You said your physios told you that you would feel pain in your back & hips because your knee was straightened and your body is re-adjusting. Did they tell you how long that might take?

I had TKR on right knee last July, as I had severe OA and my knee was turning inwards. I also was experiencing groin pain and hoped it was from my body being out of alignment, but it's been over 7 months now and I still have the groin pain and my hip is bothering me now as well.

I was diagnosed with moderate OA in right hip a year ago but the dr thought it would be a long while before I needed to think about THR, but I don't know where this groin & hip pain is coming from - my body still re-adjusting or the OA in my hip worsening.

Everyone says to give the TKR a year to fully recover, so time will tell I guess whether I'm ready for THR sooner than I thought.

Thanks for letting me ramble on 😁

Betty

• Posted

Hallo Betty!

No they didn't say how long it would take for the aches and pains to settle down. My guess is that as i'm in my early 70's it could be a while yet! Especially as the whole leg - incl  muscles and soft tissue- is still very tender after 8 weeks - even painful even putting moisturiser on.

I'm no expert on pain but do know groin pain is very often linked to the hip, as can be pain in the knee. In fact my GP thought my knee pain was because of my hip and it took a while to show it wasn't.

Words of comfort though - i found the THR a  much less traumatic op, certainly as far as post op recuperation is concerned (you don't even need any physio!) So all the best of luck in getting your pain sorted soon!!

Tessx

• Posted

Thank you Tess for your response. Before my TKR the doctor said the groin pain "could" be from my knee & body being out of alignment, but since I'm still having the pain, I suspect it must be from the hip.

Thanks for the encouraging words about THR not being as bad as a TKR. If I got through the TKR, then THR should be a breeze 😁

I'll be 68 this year so I want to do whatever I can to stay active and as pain free as possible.

Good luck to you Tess in your own journey to be pain free!

Betty

• Posted

I think you may be right about the groin pain being from the hip . . I have both at the moment (8 weeks ost TKR) but then I'm also not really sure if it could actually be pain coming from the spine!  this is the problem with this sort of pain . . it can be reflected from elsewhere, and it;s hard to know.  I've had really bad hip pain on and off for years . .needing a cane to walk . . and yet every test (and they've done them all' shows no problem.  A sports phsyio gave me some  quite painful massages to the leg and buttock, and a few days later it cleared up . . but I still can't be sure it was his treatment that did it, or whether it was going to get better spontaneously!  
    • Posted

Isn't that frustrating, not knowing where the pain is coming from?

I don't have my one year check up until July, but I will ask to have exrays done on my hip to see if the OA has worsened.

We have had a cold snap and I wonder if the pain is worse in the cold. Supposed to have quite a warm up now, so will be interesting to see if all my joint pains subside.

BTW does anyone on here live in Bath? I'm watching a PBS show about Bath & it looks just lovely!

Thank you for your response, Betty

Just past 7 months from US

• Posted

I used to live in Bristol, and we went to Bath every Wednesday to the Antique market . . .Bath is absolutely beautiful. worth a visit!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.