7 weeks TKR- pain in back of knee and limp.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi-

I had my left knee replaced about 7 weeks

ago. I still have a great deal of pain in the back of my knee and limp when I walk. I can only walk about 50 feet then I need to sit. I can walk up stairs but need assistance coming down.

Has anyone had these issues? If so, when have you seen improvement.

Thanks.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Are you in PT and if so after a session with them does your knee swell and get stiff?

Have you talked to your surgeon or his nurse about the pain?  Are you taking any anti-infammatory meds or any pain meds?

• Posted

Hi rob,

im 8 weeks out now and I still have pain behind my knee at times. If I do stretching exercises that helps or stationary bike helps, if I do those at the start of my day. As my day goes on and I feel my leg is ready for a rest, I put ice on it and raise it up. It may take an hour, but I rest whatever it takes. Then I can do a little more. It's going to take time, is what the doc told me. 

When the back of my leg swells, I can't hardly walk at all on it. 

I hope you start to feel better real soon. I have you in my prayers.

patty

• Posted

Thanks!  I really appreciate the fed back. I'm stretching and it seems to help.... 

• Posted

Hi Rob .. haven't had pain in the back of the knee just the sides and mainly the outside and front.  I'm nearly 11mths post op and limp (due to other issues)  are you still using your crutches as I used mine for nearly 3mths???

Take care and I wish you well smile

Tracey

• Posted

Thanks, I am still using my cane. I had a chiropractor adjust me and it did wonders. You may want to give one a try.
    • Posted

Hi Rob .. glad the chiropractor helped .. I'm so weary of them as I had a severe problem with my back after seeing one once and have never had the guts to go back to one again!  I'll see what my pt says and I see my surgeon on Wed so I'll see what he says too.  Have found that my tkr leg is a fraction shorter now so maybe that's causing some problems???  Just want my other knee done getting fed up with all of it!

• Posted

I think the knee is the worst surgery I've ever had. I had to have a lot of surgery's, but this one is the worse. 

• Posted

I agree, it is really much more coming back from a TKR than I realized.  Depending on the individual, there is alot of work involved in getting the use of it back.  Plus if you have a therapist who doesn't know how to back off, you get a sore knee and set backs from overworking it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.