7 year old hip replacement situation!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hey guys,

It's my first time on here so be gentle...

I had my right hip replaced in 2015 due to undiagnosed hip dysplasia which then developed into osteoarthritis. A full hip replacement was required.

Soooo im seven years in...for the past 2 years i have developed a disturbing sensation in my leg, when i walk....

So ill be walking, then bang out of no where, i get this, what i can only describe as, a bolt of electricity shoot from my hip down my leg with a cold tingly sensation...it is that intense my leg buckles and gives way. It makes you jump.

Can any body relate? I have a scan on 4th May for this problem. Covid has understandably caused delays.

Any reply appreciated.

Thanks so much, Jayde x Just to add...I am a relatively healthy 32 year old female.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

anytime bolt of electricity is mentioned... it could be a nerve pinched caused by any number of issues or swelling depending how often it happens , what type of movement , it could be a red flag for complications down the line.

i know exactly what you mean i had developed pseudo tumors and metalliosis from the metal implant and lots of swelling. .

nothing showed up in tests until revision was done and it was obvious by then. ceramic components were used to replace the metal and I no longer experience the nerve sensation of the zap that just stopped me in my tracks. it's kind of scary at first. the things we go thru to manage better mobility in our lives...

there are so many things that can go wrong. my docs were telling me my pain zaps was from my back the sciatic nerve. i knew it wasnt sciatica . these things dont show up in mri's . soft tissue injury is a bit harder to diagnose. if bone has grown and developed a spur it can cause these issues. tendons or muscles are not in the correct place or a component is sliding on a spur and or component or on bone or even swelling from daily movement .

see a doc and do your homework first , check online for others who have exhibited similar or like complications. it helps to have hard evidence of others with a diagnosis similar with you when you see a surgeon evidence if you will that this is not ok with you. sometimes they just let things go ... dont let them brush you off . do be sure you take it seriously and they dont just send you on your merry way with a everything looks fine xrays good ... that's not diagnosing your issue.... be diligent but kind.

• Edited

Thank you so much for your reply. This what I am doing at the moment...research, research, research. I just cant seem to find anyone who has had this problem develop after a significant period of time. It seems to be patients are having problems post surgery, like weeks or months after surgery. One thing i will mention is that my artificial hip is metal with ceramic coating. Is this the same as yours? Or is yours just pure metal? I have also been experiencing other problems, I can list them if they will be of any use to anyone. I just know in my body that something isn't quite right. I'm not suggesting anything sinister, but you know your own body don't you? It's frustrating, I can't chase my kids, kick a ball with them...If i do, I'm left in agony and limping. My recovery was superb...I just cant figure out why now, things just don't seem to be as good as they were. Thanks Jayde x

• Edited

I totally agree with you and there is always a reason and solution. According to your description of pain and weakness, something is pressing on a nerve .

In first response I specifically explained that not Everything shows up on testing, X-rays, MRI's they were all a waist of time in my case , because nothing showed the extent of the damage until revision was scheduled.

Even the plastic cups and coatings can fray and cause small pseudo type swelling, or a build up of small foreign microscopic particles to build up in tissue or even micro particles of tissue turns into bone in areas around the joint causing swelling in the joint area and causing nerve pressure, considered wear and tear issues .

This is effecting your quality of life. No matter what the issue your surgeon is responsible to do what is needed to help you regain a Better Quality of Life. That is the bottom line and the purpose for THR .

WHAT has your surgeon told you regarding this implant complaint?

What is the name make and model - manufacturer of your implant. Have you looked it up online? checked for issues?

My primary and revision implant by .... S t r y k e r primary was a recall... the revision is a all ceramic ball with new femur component and cup . The fraying of particles caused the implant to loosen which was not seen on any testing until revision surgery .

And coatings on components can also be a issue. A lot of implants have all types of coatings and have been recalled in the past.

I also had a high metal count in my blood stream and you can ask for a metal blood test?

However it is not your problem to diagnose this ... my initial suggestion was to help with a understanding how complications happens and was to answer how this happens after 7 years since your surgery.

The surgeon has a pretty good idea .

It is the surgeon who must recognize that this has an effect on your Mobility and your Quality of Life. AND it is your job to complain about it, Complain and call and don't give up. Complain until you get results. All the PT in the world is not going to help, this is a surgical issue.

Have you checked with" incidence of nerve injury after hip ".

Journal of orthopedic surgeons. US and the UK.

Journal of orthopedics for case studies nerve damage.

Recalls at FDA check with the your manufactures - any part recalled?

Nerve pain after THR surgery.

By the way the hip region constitutes the groin, buttock, upper lateral thigh, greater trochanteric area, and the iliac crest. Pain originating from various sources and not directly linked to prosthesis may be perceived and includes the lumbosacral spine, referred pain from abdominal organs and soft tissue sources such as trochanteric bursitis, tendinitis, hip abductor dysfunction, and inguinal hernia. An accurate assessment of the pain cause is extremely difficult to construct and a complete differential diagnosis is fundamental and the surgeons responsibility.

No matter what is causing your pain and mobility issues really doesn't matter at this point for you to identify the source, this is the surgeons responsibility.

The surgeon needs to schedule a revision if it is effecting your Quality of Life "Period"... and nothing shows in testing. Sometimes the surgeon can do a revision and once the area is open for visual inspection can identify of the cause and repair usually results in revision .

This is quite common today unfortunately, with so many hip surgeries and manufactures and under experienced surgeons coming into practice, And it is common for one reason or another for implants to be either contaminated during manufacturing , improper design or to be recalled for various other reasons and unfortunately it is becoming a common occurrence.

I am not a doctor just trying send encouragement from my experience with three THR surgeries.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.