Posted , 6 users are following.
Please pardon the long post - it's to provide as much insight into my problems with the hope of some help:
My problems started in 2011 at age 21 when I was a student at University. I lived the usual student lifestyle - a lot of drinking, smoking and unhealthy food. It sounds worse than it actually was. I also went to the gym very often and did mountain biking.
I went through a period where I was under SEVERE stress for about six months. I believe this is what triggered it all. I was out one night and had about three beers with my friends. Went to bed quite early and woke up in the middle of the night with the worst acid reflux I have ever encountered. It felt like my throat and stomach was on fire! Thereafter I had a permanent issue with acid - always had heartburn and discomfort in my stomach, mostly upper abdomen, but lower abdomen was also affected at the time. Could not wear any pants which were even slightly tight.
Long story short I was placed on PPI's, went for a Gastroscopy and the Dr said I had a hiatus hernia. A few months later I had a Nissen Fundoplication. A week after the surgery my old symptoms returned. The surgeon could not believe it. I was placed back on PPI's.
After about four years I left the PPI's and my symptoms were gone. I felt great, like a newborn child. This lasted around one and a half years. Woke up one Monday morning last year around February and ate some scrambled eggs. As I left my front door to head to the airport, I got this extreme burning sensation in my lower abdomen. Like the feeling you get when you have a stomach bug and you urgently need to run to the bathroom, but nothing came out. I was back on PPI's and it provided mild relief.
Eventually I developed diarrhea, on a daily basis. Alcohol, fatty and spicy food etc would worsen it, but even without alcohol and unhealthy food I had diarrhea. I also had constant stomach cramps, heartburn and a burning sensation on my lower abdomen area. Went to a gastroenterologist who did MANY tests. I had a gastroscopy, colonoscopy, CT scan, sonar, pill cam, barium test, many blood tests and stool tests.
Everything was pretty much clear. The only things were the gastroscopy showed mild to severe gastritis, quite a bit of bile present in my stomach and the stool tests showed my calprotectin was raised - first time it was around 100 and second time it was around 150.
The Dr just placed me on PPI's, gave me some digestive enzyme meds and sent me off. This provided some relief.
I am now off PPI's and on Ranitidine 300mg meds (Ultak), and drink a probiotic daily which was prescribed by my Dr. The diarrhea has turned to constipation, even though I still get diarrhea from time to time. My current symptoms are:
- Constipation mostly, with diarrhea now and then
- Feeling bloated
- Lots of gas, which mostly passes from the bottom due to the surgery I had
- Burning sensation in lower abdomen present for the most part of the day
- Irregular bowel movements
- Almost all the time it feels like I do not properly empty when going to the bathroom for a bowel movement (In the morning when I wake up I go, but it feels like I did not properly empty. A few minutes after I then eat, I have to go again, and it still feels like I did not properly empty)
- Due to the feeling / reality of not properly emptying, I feel bloated as well
- When I get bloated and gassy and keep in the passing of gas, it eventually turns into an emergency bathroom visit with diarrhea at times or just loose stools
- Mild heartburn from time to time
- Mild to moderate stomach discomfort
- Mild to moderate stomach cramps with sometimes sharp stabbing pains, especially when I lie on my back in the bed
- Sometimes I have some discomfort on the top right hand side of my abdomen
- A while back I was at the gym 5 - 6 times a week. During this period I got back pain in my middle back on the right side which got worse in the evenings and would get better when I get in bed at night, and disappear in the mornings
- Symptoms get worse on an empty stomach
I do still drink alcohol, but I have cut down on the amount. I eat mostly healthy and do drink quite a lot of water. I try and avoid coffee, soda etc. I still go to the gym, just less than before.
Sorry for the long post.
Any ideas what might cause this?
0 likes, 10 replies