71 ur old male. Had prostate surgery on M2, 2018.

Posted , 3 users are following.

The day after surgery for BPH , the catheter was removed. Too much blood , so the catheter was put back. Took r5 minutes of extreme pain to get it back in. Now , 1 month later I can barely per. No more blood but a very weak stream. Worse than before the surgery. Also per is very foamy every morning which lessens throughout the day. Could the doctor have damaged something reinstating the catheter the following day ? Any response will be greatly appreciated from anyone with this problem. Thank you so much for reading this post.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I'm 74 and bladder cancer. I have to self catheterise 3 to 5 times a day. This tends to cause infections, one of which I have just got rid of. When I have a UTI my wee is very foamy although I don't have any other symptoms.

I suggest you go to your GP and have him send a specimen to the lab for testing.

• Posted

I went to my GO and had blood work for kidney function last week. Won't have results until June 6th. Hate waiting for stuff. Anxiety has raised my BP . Hard to control anxiety. The biopsy from the surgery showed no cancer. That was a relief. Didn't expect this though. After my experience with my doc putting in the catheter has really got my anxiety up. So sorry to hear about your cancer. How on Earth do you cope with that ? Guess I'm a Lucy man in the respect. I'll be 72 in July. People always saying , oh you look like you're only around 60. My answer to that is , let's change bodies and you can see how this body feels. Looks are so deceiving. Sorry to go on like this. Just feels good to talk to someone else with prostate stuff. Kinds wish I was a woman now! Thank you so much for responding to me.

• Posted

Was the catheter re-inserted immediately after removal, or was it some time (hours, days) afterwards.

To answer your question, the answer is yes, it's possible that insertion of the catheter could have caused additional damage.   (I assume from your post that you no longer have the catheter in place.)   I had a Greenlight Laser procedure for BPH, and the catheter was removed after one day.  About 36 hours later, I was totally blocked and had to be rushed to the ER in excoriating pain.  A couple of ER nurses finally got a Foley installed.

Either the GL procedure, or the emergency catherization damaged my external sphincter, leaving me highly and permanently incontinent due to the strictures in the external sphincter.   I did finally resort to having an artificial sphincter implanted, and that improved my quality of life.   Another side effect the experience is impotence.

It is possible that you still have swelling from the BPH surgery.  (Was it cold knife TURP or what?)  After my GL procedure, there was a lot of debris left attached that had to be removed by a second BPH procedure.

• Posted

Thank you sooo much for your quick reply. The catheter was removed 12 hours after surgery. When the doctor tried to put it back though he tried 4 times over a 40 minute time span. Never been in so much pain for that long in my life. It felt as if something was tearing inside. I can still per, but it's extremely slow and there is no blood anymore. He used the laser surgery. Saw him last week and he says everything is find. I think He's full of it though. Been thinking about taking Flowmax until I can talk to him again. Now I wish I hadn't had the surgery at all. Peed better than this before the surgery. Wish he had just left the original catheter in. I Don't have a catheter now and I am able to at least empty my bladder. It takes a long time though.

• Posted

That sounds brutal.  When I was in retention in the ER, with a bladder so full that felt like it would explode, it was the worst pain I've felt in my life.  (That includes the dengue fever I had in Vietnam.)

Was the surgery done with GreenLaser by any chance?  (There are other lasers used.)   If so, my first doctor did a cystoscopy when I was highly incontinent a month after the procedure. Rather than being a clean cut (I had median lobe growth, so a channel was cut), it looked like there were all kinds of tree roots suspended from the surface of the prostate.  That was also causing irritation and inflammation to the perineum, and a month post surgery, I had to carry a doughnut shaped pad for sitting.   Is it sore when you sit by any chance?   Finally, where did you have this done?   If in the US, could you tell in what location?

Thanks.  

• Posted

No , nothing is sore and not peeing blood. It was done with the green light laser. The problem is extremely slow emptying. I'm pretty sure he'll probably do a cystoscopy and maybe find out what's wrong. It was done at Christus St. Mary hospital here in my home town , Port Arthur Tx. Talked to several people who had it done , but they seem to be fine with their outcome.

• Posted

Here's what I know about the GL and how it works, and this was from the urologist who did my AUS implant.  He said that the GL heats and ablates the prostate when the light interacts with read blood.  Without blood, there is no ablation.  (He said he used to do the GL procedure, and taught it to other doctors, but he no longer uses the GL.)

Having got a short glimpse of what the inside of my prostate looked like after the GL (the tree roots analogy), I could see how that could block the flow.  At 6 weeks post GL, I was still getting pieces of prostate coming out.  It was stringy and gray in appearance.  At 6 weeks, I had a second procedure (Gyrus TURP) to clean all that out, and to try to stop the constant leaking.  I'm pretty sure that my first doctor knew that my external sphincter had been damaged, but kept that information from me.  It was nearly 10 months after the GL when my new urologist discovered the strictures in the sphincter.  It was Dec 7, 2016.

• Posted

Lot of unnecessary crap to go through. You can be sure he knew what happened. Many doctors Don't say anything when things Don't go right. That's what happened with my first bypass. The surgeon knew what he did. I Didn't find out for several years. By then he left the country anyway and had many lawsuits against him but he went to Pakistan.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.