75 to 150?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been on 75 XR for almost 2 years now for anxiety. They have been working great! My only issues are some sleepiness and I've gained about 16 pounds.

Then, out of nowhere, a wave of anxiety hit me last week and now I'm back at square one, battling crippling anxiety every day. The kind where just taking a shower and getting dressed are victories because you're shaking so much.

I have not stopped taking my meds, not changed the time I take them...nothing.

It seems so odd that the meds would just quit working like that. Especially since it's only been less than 2 years.

I have an appointment this Friday (so in 5 days) with my doctor to talk about going up from 75 to 150. I never really wanted a high dose but at this point I don't feel as though I have another choice.

Has anybody else experienced anything similar?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi im on same 75mg and this happened to me, i was told to take 37.5mg in morning and same at night what a difference in my anxiety dont get me wrong i still have the odd off day but much better spitting them x

• Posted

hello, 75mg is a very low dose of ven. probably its not a case of ven no longer working, rather that your every day life may have become more stressful, and 75mg is no longer enough. i would suggest going up to 112.5mg first, then 150mgs after a month or so if needed. you would have a much easier time increasing that way. an increase of 75mg is relatively speaking quite large, and increases usually mean going through side effects, which cam be quite bad. im on 300mg now, but even i didnt like going up by more than 37.5mg each time, as initial increase in anxiety was too much. no issues with 37.5mg increases.

weight gain is common with all anti depressants. ven isnt worse than any others. it comes down to discipline, diet and exercise. its all too easy to make yourself happier by eating more. i struggle with appetite, but am pretty hard on myself about diet.

• Posted

I just assumed that the next step up was to 150. I would much rather go up by another 37.5. Hopefully that's what he does. thanks!

• Posted

is it the same brand/manufacturer? When the pharmacy switches brands during refill it can cause withdrawal like effects or changes to how you normally feel.

• Posted

As far as I know, nothing has changed. I've always taken the generic 75 XR. The pharmacy wouldn't just change it without telling me, would they? The pills look exactly the same.

Thanks for your reply!

• Posted

my pharmacy has changed the brand without mentioning it. It's worth taking a look at the manufacturer name in the bottle just to make sure they are the same. In the past five months, I've had three different manufacturers.

• Posted

Just wanted to post an update. My pharmacy did, indeed, change manufacturers without telling me. When I asked them to change back they refused. I went to about 8 different pharmacies and finally found one that would order my ven from my preferred manufacturer.

After I went back to the original manufacturer, I was all good again. crazy that it makes a difference, but it definitely does!

Thanks so much for the tip. I never would have thought of that without you!

• Posted

Hi..could you tell me which manufacturer you were good on and which was bad for you. I was given venlaxafine blue fish brand first, then my next script was effexor which made me very nauseated, I'm now back of blue fish brand. This also happened when I was on sertraline, my brand was changed and they stopped working but neither doctor or pharmacist would accept it was the brand change saying they are all the same. cheers!!!

• Posted

i have also put on a lot of weight. i would be interested to know if this is a side effect. ive gained three stone since last three years i have been on this drug

• Posted

hello, i also put on 3 stone when on seroxat, over a long period of time. a year ago, it stopped working, got into a terrible depressed and anxious state, and lost 3 stone in 3 months. nothing like anxiety and depression to shift weight. been on ben for 8 months now. my appetite came back with avengance. however, i was determined to not put it back on. its been very hard, but i havent. i cut out all crap, and exercise. putting on weight can be a side effect from all anti depressants, ven is no worse than any of the others. looking back, for me, i didnt care enough about my health, when i felt down, i ate more, and didnt care about what i ate. i dont keep food at home, so its not readily available to me. funnily enough, when im home i dont feel hungry. for me it came down to not caring enough about myself, and lack of discipline. its the same really for people that dont take anti depressants. choosing and sticking to a healthy diet is constant hard work, but its worth it. add in some exercise, stick to it rigidly for a month, see the benefit, which might encourage you to maintain it. there arent easy answers. try to stay off carbs and processed foods.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.