78 yo husband, diagnosed with kidney stones

Posted , 3 users are following.

Worried about my husband, diagnosed with kidney stones in ER last Monday, sent home with antibiodics and pain meds.  He started passing what I think are stones on Tuesday, lots of sandy stuff, still passing today. Looks like the size of pepper.  Loss of appetite, vomiting after eating, pain continued through yesterday. Hasn't 'pooped' for 5 days. Stool softener and mild laxative not working.  Was able to keep soup and mac & cheese down last night and today. Pain isn't as bad, but he is weak and very tired.  Stubborn about going back to doctor.  He has had stones prior and once passed back to normal.  Has had no fever.  Should I INSIST he go to ER?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

If he is feeling better, think about that maybe some of the meds are making him feel the way he does. I had no appetite for a long time, and am still tired with the stent inside me til next week. The dr can, however, prescribe something for nausea.
  • Posted

I think what your husband really needs is an appointment with a urologist.

In order to get this I think he will have to have a referral from GP.

Sarah

• Posted

Update on hubby, when they went in to get the kidney stone they found cancer cells in his bladder. They took those out and think they got it all. The kidney stone is still blocking so he now has a Foley catheter until the bladder is healed and a catheter coming out of his back for they kidney to drain. He is in pain from the bladder spasms and the meds are not working real well. Foley cath comes out next week and then we start all over to deal with the kidney stones. Would welcome any comments if someone has gone through this.
    • Posted

At least you know what the problem is.

I had kidney stones last year. Had them removed by keyhole surgery in December

I had a catheter in for a few days and a stent for a week.

Went for a follow up last week and everything is fine I have been discharged

Do take care and keep me updated.

Thinking of you and your husband.

Sarah.

• Posted

Agreed, glad you are doing good. Thank you for responding.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.