7cm dermoid cyst

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello,

In the last year or so, I noticed a dull ache either side of my pelvis in the and decided to get it chekced out. The pain seemed to move over to my left side and become more accute. After months I finally managed to get an ultrasound which highlighted an ovarian mass on my right ovary, which they THINK may be a dermoid cyst, around 7cm. I was reffered to a gyne who reccomended a laparoscopy.

My main concern about this is that it wil affect my fertility. I am 27 and currently have no children but absaloutley want to be able to in the future. The consultant I saw was very vague and couldnt really give me a direct answer. What I also realised afterwards from the Nurse who perfomed my pre-operaion assessment is that I have consented for my ovary to be removed. 

They can only know for sure once they have fully inspected. So if I go through with the operation, there's a chnce I will awake without my ovary.

I know its not the end of the world, as I'll have my other one. But I'd prefer no damage of tissue and certainly no removal of my eggs. 

I'd love some advice or just general information from anyone who has been through similar experince. 

Thank you!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi I had a similar experience last year I was found to have a probable dermoid cyst 6cms. I had it removed via key hole surgery and they did not need to remove my ovary even though it was difficult to get separated from my right ovary which was a relief as I was told I could possible lose my ovary. Pathology came back clear and I'm now pregnant due to give birth soon. I hope all goes well.
  • Posted

Hey marnie,

I had my op last year (21/03/15) about a month before I was rushed into A&E twice before they picked anything up. First time was suspected appendicitis but was sent away with anti biotics for a severe water and kidney infection! 5 hours later I couldn't bear the pain anymore and was rushed back through A&E again to be told they are sorry they missed it but I had a cyst on my ovary! I was dosed up on morphine to take the pain away!

The next morning I was taken for tests and scans, the sonographer told me I had a dermoid cyst on my right ovary which had teeth and was a good size! The consultant came round later that day told me I would need it to be removed as my cyst was 11x10x10cm which cut any blood circulation to my ovary so it was dead! I was a mess if I'm honest I was 25 being told I was having a vital female organ removed! And like you marnie I was worried about children in the future. I was told by the nurse who was on my case that she was pregnant with only one ovary too and it took a little worry off me! The odds are still good for people like us with one ovary it may just take a little longer to fall pregnant!

It's still possible marnie smile so if you do lose your ovary it's not the end just means your like me and you've got a bit of a an obstacle in the way! It will happen one day and plus they offer you help if your unsuccessful on your own!

Chin up tho smile here if you want to chat smile

Stop worrying smile xx

Stacey xxxxx

• Posted

Hi!

I totally understand your concern, I lost my left ovary completely when I was 19 years old! The cyst was so large that I had an ovarian torsion.

Less than a year later, I got pregnant. ☺

My son is 6 now, and I have problems with cysts on my right ovary. (Just had a laparoscopy to get rid of one!) It certainly worries me because I do want more children so I completely understand your fears!

Bottom line, even if you lose an ovary, you can still have children.

I hope this gives you some comfort!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.