7days post op

Posted , 4 users are following.

How long does the numbness and swelling take to go down?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi leanne, my head on left side is still numb after 3yrs, neurosurgeon said it's due to damaged nerves... Feels like I'm lying on a brick! Lol

That doesn't mean yours will be like that though... I have got used to it now ...

• Posted

Hi Helen, 

I have a question...I hope you don't mind. 

How long did it take you to decide to finally have the surgery? I want to know because I still have not had the surgery because I'm afraid. But now I'm to the point where I can't keep on living in this much pain. I'm worried that the longer I wait I am at risk of doing more nerve damage. It's been a year that I have been toughimg through a lot of painful symptoms.

Thank you for your post.

• Posted

Hi Evella, I had symptoms for 10yrs before I was diagnosed.... By then I was like yourself, I couldn't stand it anymore.. I was a bit unlucky, as I'm on medication for dizziness and nausea first thing. But the pressure isn't as bad as it was.. Everyone seams to be a bit different with chiari and the recovery.. The good thing is with this sight it let's you know your not alone.. I didn't discover it till much later after my operation.. It would have helped a lot to know if others suffered same symptoms after decompression. Plus people don't really come on here with positive news as they aren't looking for answers, so don't think it's all bad lol xxx

• Posted

Hi Leanne,

I have the same question!

I was decompressed 23/Aug/17 and the back of my head and the left hand side is pretty numb. My Neurosurgeon says it's quite normal and that some unimportant nerves get damamaged during surgery, but I want to know how long it lasts!

Hope you're recovering well after surgery, take care x

• Posted

Hi Kerenza, I'm 3yrs post op.. And still numb, my nerves caused slurred speach after operation, but didn't last too long {much to husbands disappointment haha} . I was also very wobbly and nausea was awful... I still get that, bit like vertigo actually... But I'm working part time now and making most of life best I can,, yes there are some things I can't do like I used to ..

Don't think my head will ever feel the same again, always tingling and tightening feeling, maybe over the yrs it will get less.. I hope you continue to recover well.. Xxxx

• Posted

How long did it take for the swellen to go down it just seems to be on the right hamd sode of my wound
    • Posted

I think I only had bit swelling for few wks to a month , but got it bit infection at bottom of wound.. That took bit longer.. If it's really red and swollen get it checked incase infection.. Mines is still bit lumpy but my hair covers it...

• Posted

Iys the itching of it healing thats doing my head in the most think it looks oki tho
    • Posted

Yes I remember that itchy feeling... It's hard but try to keep ur hands off it..

• Posted

I know, my worst thing was picking at scabby bits, as awful as it sounds! It would nip as it was healing... To be honest think that's how I got infection.. Hmm

• Posted

That's great you're back at work part time, I see so many people who even after surgery, don't quite manage that next step of returning to work.

I hope I get used to my head feeling this way, or the sensation comes back. It's not 100% numb but it just doesn't feel like my head!

Still, I'm a lot better in other ways and it could be worse!

Take care, hope you carry on feeling OK and life goes well for you xxx

• Posted

Thank you, yes you have to make the most of of things, as you say some are so much worse off.. Just look after yourself and don't overdo it... I know my limits.. Some days are worse than others... Take care hun xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.