7th total knee revision 20th surgery overall

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hope my ordeal does not scare or think this will happen to them, not everyone has a great outcome there is a small percentage of those where things did not go as planned. As the title says my latest surgery was Dec31st one month ago. This was a total knee revision due to increasing instability and pain from previous revision 2 years prior. One year ago had a partial my knee dislocated twice in a 3-4 month time frame ( trust me does not feel great when it happens )at the time first thought the whole knee had to be redone but it turned out the plastic on the tibia section needed to be replaced not a big deal. This did fine for a period of time but the knee started to give out on occasion maybe once a month and even then I was still walking 3-4 miles daily. As time wore on what started as once a month became more frequent until it started happening several times a day every day. My surgeon said the next replacement needs to be a hinged but he warned me it does not last as long as a typical replacement my reply if I can get 2-3 years with less pain and swelling then to me its worth it since dealing with how it currently felt was not good. He agreed surgery was New Years Eve, there was a few complications mostly involving femoral component he had to use cement to install the new implant due to not enough bone left to drill to get a secure fit?? So a brief history all of this started in 2003 to date this was 20th surgery 7th TKR fingers crossed will be the last?? Considering my history time in OR going into second month I should be more mobile but not there yet walking is a joke 10-15minutes is it anything longer pain is thru the roof, almost the same with driving short trips drug store maybe a quick in and out small grocery store but the longer on my feet the worse it gets. Yes I ice and elevate during the day wish I did not need pain meds but without them it would be worse. Currently taking celebrix 2x a day 600mg of Gabapentin 3x aday and 10mg Oxycodone 1-2 as needed every 4 hours slowly doing better with taking this yes when I have over done it I will take 2 of the Oxy but mostly just one and instead of every 4 hours try to space it out longer. While yesterday was not exactly pain free I managed to only take 3 of the Oxy cheap thrill. So yes recovery is no fun pretty much stinks nothing about it is easy.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Norman

I'm just curious as to why your surgeon has said the 'hinged' joint wont last very long? I was under the belief they had a life span of 10+ years?

Thanks

Denise

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.