7wks Post Op For CES and Scared

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey all, Hoping I can receive some help or support, please. There's a long, sad story (like so many of you have) that precedes my emergency surgery in Jan, but it doesn't matter at the moment because what's happening currently is what matters. Felt fan-f***-ing-tastic after surgery, even after dealing with another hospital stay due to infected incision that had to be reopened (was like a scene from the movie "Hostel"wink. Up until a few days ago, I was even walking like a normal, sober person, without the fear of falling. Then, as I was squatting down to get something from the low cupboard, I fell. Not far at all, but something's happened. I have down-played this, but can't ignore what's happening. I may make pitiful attempts at humor, but I am frightened. The right leg and back pain is awful. I had asked for the lowest dose of pain meds last visit, in an effort to get off of them, but they are not even touching this. This is pre-op pain. I've not had any saddle numdness, thank goodness. But, right leg is super weak, and the pain in lower back on right side is doing that scary trip down my right leg, that I know y'all are familiar with. What has frightened me the most, is just today, I have felt that awkward sensation of cold, wetness in spots on my buttocks. I am trying my damndest to play this off as soreness from my little, non-graceful short spill to the floor. But, can't ignore this. Any, absolutely, any advice is welcome and appreciated. 

Thanks, 

Colleen

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Sorry you need to be using this amazingly supportive site. I do hope you are able to get some good responses to your post.  We are not doctors, however, we can share our experiences which are all different.  I noted you did not say if you were evaluated for CES. I believe that when you have numbing, coldness, tingling, pain etc. it most likely is a symptom of the bac/spine injury. If I were you, I would get myself to a doctor, one that will do scans, and is familiar with CES. Even if it's not CES, which would be wonderful, you need to keep a very close eye on your back.  If you are not satisfied with one doctor, get a second opinion. I hope you get some acceptable  answers. Blessings 

• Posted

Thank you so much, Mary. I can't believe I left out such important info. My surgery in January was a lumbar discectomy L4-L5, after an ER visit diagnosed with CES. I had been having worsenening symptoms for months. I have been praising my neurosurgeon for how my symptoms had disapeared after surgery and how well I was doing. Now, I am afraid to admit to him that I am far from well. I have spoken with his nurse and PA, but haven't mentioned the CES symptoms that I fear are returning. Can CES come back like this? Please say it isn't so.

• Posted

Colleen

Since you have fallen and are experiencing acute pain you need to get back in and get checked. You should also get a consult with a physical therapist. So you can learn what your new limits are in terms of bending lifting etc. it's not going to be the same as before. You are a fairly new post op and your compression and surgery caused swelling. It will take time before the symptoms of CES go away. Some people aren't so lucky and they continue with symptoms from permanent nerve damage like myself. The cut off seems to generally be around 2 years although some say they have had improvements for years. You are new to this experience and have a lot of time ahead to heal.

Chrioli

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.