8.2 Cholesterol..eeeeek!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Had my cholesterol tested and it came back at a whopping 8.2 which surprised me cause I Mostly eat chicken, salad, veggies and 2 boiled eggs every morning. The red meat is to a minimum. I do smoke and have more than the usual stress lately.....Can this give me such high results? 

My LDL - 6 and my HDL - 7

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Why not? It is well known today, that your cholesterol level has nothing to do with what you eat. Well, let's say almost nothing.

• Posted

I'm not very clued up with this cholesterol thing...thought it's the food. Don't know what else will make it so high...its not hereditary in my family

• Posted

Well, it is rather complicated question, you know.

Of course, I could share my thoughts with you, but I am not a physician. And there are a lot of things it is worth to take into account including age, weight, state of health, physical activity, previous results, other tests, etc.

So it would be a good idea first of all to discuss this issue with your family physician.

• Posted

Yes it is true that stress and smoking certainly dont help,and you can help yourself by cutting down on smoking,stress in itself is more difficult if your that way inclined,try some small changes in your diet,for example eggs contain a lot of fat so if you need to eat eggs ,just have the whites,or better still try eating porridge for your breakfast,it lowered mine substantually. Worth a try.Get tested in 6 months and see how you get on,your nutrition looks ok but i'm sure it can be tweeked here and there but you must work on your stress.

• Posted

My cholesterol has been 7.3 for years and im still here to tell the tale ,refuse to take statins as have seen the effects they have had on family members but this is my personal choice .

I am of normal weight  and walk daily have the thought "what i can not change im not going to worry about"

My brother in law had cholesterol of 2.5 without meds ,he had no history of heart disease and just had a medical before he died suddenly from heart attack.Too much importance is given to cholesterol in my opnion. 

• Posted

Hi Julie have just had test back 5.8 been called in to see doc Tuesday tried to diet it out for two years but rose again any ideas as I don't want statins 

• Posted

Hi glad to see posts about this topic. My cholesterol has gone up to 6.9 from 6 5. Won't go on statins so advised now to take cider vinegar , keifer which I never heard of. Also to supplement with l_arginne red yeast rice tabs and low fat diet. I am normal weight and walk 3 times a week and eat very healthy with plenty of fruit. I don't think I will take red yeast rice tabs as they are a type of stating but will try arginne. Has anyone heard of this ? Would love to hear views

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.