8 and a half weeks on cit now......

Posted , 7 users are following.

..... and I feel im getting worse. The last 3 weeks have not been good at all, its been about 4 weeks since I had any feeling that cit is helping me at all and im getting better. Ive been told that cos I've felt something positive that means that the cit is working, and that with me it may take longer to get into my system. Im was on 20mg and have recently upped to 30mg the last few days. Saw my dr today, and had a meltdown im afraid to say,he said stick to 30mg for the next month. Any replies would be great, thank you... Luke

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

My GP said each time up dose will take a month at least to help. Notice some on this board say could be six to eight weeks

Hang in there 

• Posted

Sorry to hear your having a tough time.  It does take time for the medication to work and often you can feel good then drop down again - 2 steps forward and 3 steps back.  Also when having the dose increased it often gives you side effects again until your body gets used to it once more.

Everyone is different, and medication takes different times for everyone.  Yes do stick with it as you've come so far already, but keep reminding yourself that you're on your way to recovery.

I've had many a melt down at the doctors, but don't worry, they've seen it all before.  Don't keep it in, let it all out and remember this is an illness and you're allowed to cry.

Keep on, and you'll find things will gradually get better, but don't go looking for wellness, it'll come in it's own time.

xxx

• Posted

I always feel quite bad for a few weeks after upping the dose Hun. 

What I have noticed is that the ok days are getting more ok each time I have them. Not that it's often.

We are all very different and some people respond to medication very quickly....others it takes quite some time. You felt a difference at some point with 20mg so I do actually feel you are responding to them. The increase may be just what you needed.

We all get very frustrated and down and anxious and the longer this goes on without huge improvements,the more despondent we get. Then we have a ok day and think "ahh ok,maybe they are working"!!!! Then we have more bad days and the ok day is easily forgotten because all we can think about is how we feel in that moment. 

Eventually them ok days will connect and we may have two in a row.........yipeeeee. 

And then further along the line...we realise one day...that oh wow....I'm gonna be ok,I am ok....I had days where I didn't think about the bad stuff or obsess about this and that.... And you know you are almost through it xx

• Posted

Taz, kate and Gillian........thank you for your replies, it means a lot.
  • Posted

Hi sorry to hear you are having a hard time.

I originally started on Prozac 20mg for a few months then this was increased to 40mg then to 60mg. I then switched to mirtazapine as after s couple of years on the Prozac I felt it wasn't effective anymore. This made me really drowsy though so I was switched to the citalopram first on 20mg then to 40mg which is my current dose. Drs are reluctant to increase the doseage to quickly but I would try and stick with it for now on the 30mg. I can only suggest that the increase in dosage has the same effect as when you first start taking the medication where you have to go through the first few weeks of feeling worse before you get better x

• Posted

Hi Luke, has your GP also refered you to CBT or any other support therapy?  I do feel this is important also.  It is so hard to pick ourselves up by the bootlaces but I'm approaching this as though it's part of a job I have to do.  Whilst Id much rather curl up on the couch I'm forcing myself up and out (whilst dangling the 'reward' of if I get out /drive, make one phine call a day, THEN I can curl up again) but it is hard.  So for me, my recovery is about allocating effort every day.  I must confess, I have had days I haven't bothered smile  Whether it's due to headaches, just feeling crappy etc but I do now see, that when I have a missed day of 'effort', I subsequently feel worse.  The short term reward of head in the sand, is truly only short term.  So Ive made a list.  Some things I still can't face, but others give me a sense of achievement that I'm crossing them off my list.  It's a fight, it's a battle, but I truly don't want to remain where I was for the rest of my life.  Give the dose increase time to kick in, be kind to yourself and accept it will take time (wouldn't we just love a magic overnight 'fix everything pill' smile and maybe make a list of all your worries or concerns.  The guys here have been fab in sharing their experience and I think without this forum, I would have been in a bit of a pickle, feeling alone, odd, unsure about the meds etc so huge thanks from me too to all you guys xxxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.