8 day headache on right side of my head after recovering from the flu

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had the flu 2weeks ago and was given Tamiflu, cough meds and nasal spray by the doctor at urgent care. I started feeling better except for just some left over nasal congestion and coughing. Exactly a week after being diagnosed with the flu and still not feeling 100%, I got this horrible headache on the top R side of my head and into my fore head & temple that occasionally radiates down into the back of my head. I wouldnt say it debilitating, but very annoying, frustrating and causing me alot of anxiety. None of my abortive medications are working to relieve the pain. I have been through this a few times  before with a headache that has lasted for 6 months constant and then just goes. The last time in 2012 I ended up in the Michigan Head Pain and Neurological Institute in patient hospital. They were able to help he so much and found medications that worked for me and I have been using them ever since and they have always worked for me when I would have a very bad headache, but they are not workign this time and I am gettign very concerned. It’s only been 9 days and i am already a basket case over this. I have lost interest in everything and cannot concentrate on anything, I don’t even want ti get out of bed in the morning because i know that I’m going to have a headache,  it is just consuming me. My family coworkers and friends are already tired of hearing about it. I cannot go through this again, i just don’t know what to do. I am not going from doctor to doctor to doctor again just to have them throw meds down my throat that don’t work. I feel like no one cares. It takes weeks to get an appointment, then thsy give you pills, sond you for an MRI, which takes another few weeks then go back for results which is another few weeks and in the mean time, I’m hurting and have high anxiety adn have trouble functioning. The strange thing is that my headache is different this time, its only one sided and its not as intense as in the  past and it come on right after a bought with the flu. Im not sure what to do here. Nothing helps. Could the flu virus have anything to do with this? Its very expensive for me to go back up to the Michigan Head Pain Cliinic, but i feel like the doctors her are just a waste of my time. Currently i am on Amoxicillin 875 2x per day and prednisone taper since my primary doctor thinks its a sinus infection after the flu, but I’m not convinced, it doesn’t seem to be working either. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Kim,

Ye, it could be recovery just sit back, relax, drink water and most importantly get some advice from a doctor if it gets worse

Yours Sincerely

Amie Stevens

• Posted

Thanks Amie, 

But it doesn’t seem to be a sinus issue to me. The prednisone doesn’t seem to be working. The headache is relatively minor in the morning, but seems to get worse in the afternoon. I called my primary doctor again to ask her if the prednisone should be working by now but she hasn’t gotten back to me yet. I’ve been through this before and it seems like the same thing.   The headache center in my city has no appointments available until November. It’s ridiculous how they expect people to wait that long when they are in agony. 

I’ll keep taking my meds but I’m not convinced that it’s going to work since it hasn’t so far. 

• Posted

I am so sorry that your dealing with all of this pain and frustration! It is a miserable experience, I know. Have you tried prescription Vanatol for your headache pain? It is a fast acting liquid with; caffeine, acetaminophen, and butalbital that provides rapid pain relief. It does have a bit of alcohol in it that works as an anxiety reducer as well as helps the medication absorb quickly. I am a RN Pharmaceutical Rep. and work directly with the manufacturer. They offer a lifetime coupon which eliminates MOST or ALL of your prescription co-pay. My co-pay was $7 for a month supply and it got rid of my epidural headache. If you're interested in trying Vanatol please respond to me with your Physicians information and I will email you a pre-printed prescription for your MD to sign and fax. My pharmacy delivers your medication for free! All my best to you!

Kellee smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.