8 days on mirtazapine and not slept

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi been taking mirtazapine now for 8 days and my sleep problems seem to be getting worse. Previously I had been taking sertraline but was switched to 15mg mirtazapine as the doctor said it would help me sleep. I am absolutely shattered and feel more anxious than ever. I do feel that my body is lethargic and in the mornings it takes a lot of effort to get up but my head just doesn't seem to switch off. In fact I feel like my body is disconnected from the rest of my body. Last night was my worst nightmare of sleep - I fell asleep straight away but woke after half hour, then eventually fell asleep again but woke up every hour till 6 this morning. I got so desperate to sleep that I also took 8mg of diazepam.

How long does it take to work for sleep? I feel like I'm going backwards every day. I also started back at work yesterday part time but know I won't be able to return full time feeling like this

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like we're in the same boat. I have been having trouble sleeping, and was prescribed Mirtazapine. I am able to drift off, but my sleep is often disrupted, with me waking up 2 or 3 times a night. And, at times, even though I have slept for quite a few hours, I wake up feeling unrefreshed and tired. Now, saying that, I haven't taken one of the tablets yet, I am taking my first one tonight, so I can definitely keep you posted as to how I get on. I definitely hope things get better for you. If not, perhaps you need a higher dosage? 
  • Posted

It takes a while for new meds to kick in sometimes it gets worse before it gets better

Give them a few more weeks to work properly, if they dont then go back to gp

Take Careconfused

• Posted

Hi I know it takes time for meds to work for the depression and it took about 2 weeks before the sertraline kicked in. The problem for me at the moment is the lack of sleep and most people including the doctor told me that the mirt should work straight away for that. I was feeling better on the sertraline but not sleeping so he switched me and said that it was best to do last week so that I would have a week on the meds before returning to work. 

I am so shattered that I have had to have someone fill in for me today - I don't think I should be put in charge of any students at the moment! I am also looking after my husband who has just been diagnosed with cancer which has spread into his bones meaning he can barely walk and can't get about on his own. So I am absolutley desperate to get more that 2 hours sleep at night.

• Posted

Mirt took a couple of weeks to kick in with me,but everyone is different.

Mirt was the only AD that did not give me horrendous side affects(apart from weight gain),thats why I liked it,unfortunatley it have stopped working and Im withdrawing from them at the moment and being put on another AD, I was on 45mg of mirt for 6 years.

Sleep was one of my big problems before mirt,now I am so worried about my new AD which does not have a sedative.

So I kinda know what your going through.

Stay strongbiggrin

Go back and see you gpbiggrin

• Posted

Hi ssk,

Normally mirt works straight away for treating insomnia, so you seem to be an exception.  You say your GP "switched" you from sertraline.  Did you not taper down?  If not,  perhaps you are suffering withrawal side affects. 

I take sertraline for anxiety PLUS mirt for sleep and that works well for me.

Best wishes.

• Posted

I am in the process of tapering off 45mg mirt they say its stopped working even though it still gives me a good night sleep Im going onto sertraline 50mg, Im not on them yet but I am already worrying about sleep as this is a MAJOR problems in my depression(only started getting anxiety 3 months ago) had depression for 16 years,it took psychiatrists 4 years to get my meds right with mirt.

So I am excited to read that you can still take mirt with sertraline.

• Posted

I take 100mg sert in the morning and 7.5 mg mirt in the evening. 

I used to take 15 mg of mirt but reduced to hopefully fend off the hunger.

Some GPs are frightened of prescribing the combination because of the very rare but serious condition "seratonin syndrome". My guess is that you would have to be on a high dose of both drugs for that to happen.  

• Posted

Ive been referred to a psychiatrist again as I dont think gp's have good enough lnowledge on AD Thanks for the advice
    • Posted

Hi oldboy

I came off the sertraline prior to taking mirt - my GP seemed to think I needed to be off the sertraline for a set period of time roughly 2 weeks. I started to lower the dose in January and was taking 50mg up till about 4 weeks ago. The plan had been to try without any medication and to take diazepam if I had a panic attack. 

I have a follow up appointment on the 22nd but not sure I can cope until then.

• Posted

If you cannot cope go back to your doctor.

From what you say I think you are suffering withdrawal from the sert. 4 weeks is not long to stop from 50mg especially as you  were on more before that.   In your position I would go back on the sert, either to taper more slowly or as augmentation.     

• Posted

I agree with Oldboy, you are suffering from the WD of Sert and Mirt cannot cover this - some doctors may think it is ok to "switch AD's" but your doctor, like mine, needs expert advice with these powerful drugs ~ you poor thing,

In my humble opinion, 8 days isn't very long so I would stop the Mirt' - just stop before it really gets into your system, and reinstate the Sert at the last "comfortable" dose that you were on, think carefully about the latter.

The given advice for discontinuation of AD's is no more than 10% (5% for some) every 2 to 4 weeks ~ or a length of time that suits the individual.

I bet you're really suffering with the insomnia, nothing worse.  Might there be another doctor at the practice you attend who has more knowledge of AD's?

Wishing you well SSK, really hope you can turn this around quickly smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.