8 days post Anterior Total Hip Replacement

Posted , 3 users are following.

8 days post Anterior Total Hip Replacement

Got diagnosed with end stage arthritis on my right hip at 29. Apparently an undiagnosed child hood trauma injury. Finally had THR about 8 days ago. Thought I’d share what my days look like lately for anybody that is going to have to have the same procedure

How my day looks after hip replacement surgery

• wake up between 4-5:30am (due to pain)
  • 6am pain medication
  • Brush teeth, hoping soon to add wash face
  • 6:15am - 11:30 ice compression machine
  • Coffee (made by someone else)
  • Breakfast (also made by someone else)
  • 8am more meds
  • 8:30 PT (right now I can do toe points about 7 knee raises)
  • 11-noon nap if I’m lucky
  • Noon pain meds
  • 12:30 - If I’m not in too much pain go up one flight of stairs as part of PT to have lunch
  • 1:30 walk to office with walker as part of PT & work as long as I can
  • 2:15ish lay or sit down because I’m exhausted again
  • 3ish back downstairs for more ice therapy
  • 5ish attempt shower and put on clean clothes (favorite part of day because showers are my new best friend)
  • Change wound dressing every 3 days
  • May have to lay down from exhaustion from shower and getting dressed
  • 6pm more meds
  • 6:30ish back up stairs for the last time for dinner and PT
  • 8pm more meds
  • 8:30pm final stair journey down for the day (these are usually the hardest even though down is easier than up)
  • 8:30-11pm ice therapy
  • 11:30/ midnight more meds.
  • Sleep. If I wake up at 1am in writhing pain it’s time to take the hard pain meds otherwise I’ll be up ever 45mins or so.

Last night I slept 6 hours which is the longest stretch since coming home from hospital

…..Repeat…..

Every day gets a little better. The nerve pain in my legs and feet is lessening. I’m still having some muscle spasms in glutes, thighs and side. Right side is still sore and incision has started to itch. BUT I’m seeing improvements. Night sleeping is getting better. Healing is a journey.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

Hello Lauren

Very nice schedule you have established, especially important this early during recovery. Thanks for the history helped with wondering why hip replacement was so young.

I know you have a good future ahead. Remember to always be aware of your new shiny hip and

take care of it and it will give you years of mobility and a better quality of life.

Accepting the difference in movement now and as we age and practice 'Mindfulness'. Thinking ahead and understanding that lifting heavy objects , pushing / pulling heavy objects can take a toll.

After 30 years of living with my hips I want to add a little lecture. This is major surgery and it takes time to get back to normal. Never compare your healing time to anyone else . My huge tip... you do not need therapy to heal faster, no one can rush healing . Really all you need to do is walk . Just walk and get new shoes for your new walking gate and practice a good solid heel to toe gate until you don't have to think about any more. Approximately 8 months , which is generally considered to be short term healing. Healing takes time for bone growth , soft tissue healing and strengthening, that is huge right there.

Then there is also long term healing up to 12-14 months. Healing is like a roller coaster a lot of ups and downs but its all well worth it.

One last hint and big tip... NEVER let a PT instructor push you to do anything if it hurts. Walking is the only exercise needed to heal. Anytime during the healing period if it hurts STOP. Never put all you trust into Pt exercises or instructors as they have not experienced what you are coping with to get better. It's your body and listen to it's feedback- IMPORTANT.'PT can cause more injuries be careful.'

Most new hippies try to rush healing and end up with set backs because to much exercise / movement or just balancing while standing takes a tremendous amount of energy. Take it in slow baby steps at first and slowly work up time ...as allowed. Some hippies press themselves to fast and this will cause set backs. Exhaustion can come on quickly, by taking rest periods , icing, and stay ahead of the pain will help. Set your alarm to take pain meds don't wait til you wake up. Stay ahead of the pain save your heat and internal system the stress. Taking vitamins eat right and a gooey chocolate treat will always make the pain dissolve.

What type of implants did you receive and manufacturer? There are some very nice new implants designed for better rage of movement and longer lasting for younger patients. What approach did the surgeon use to enter the joint and are there any restrictions to observe during the early stages of recovery?

Remember you " Got This!"

Sending healing vibes your way.

• Posted

Hiya I hope things are still improving for you.

I saw the surgeon today and he said an anterior op was possible and it is my choice. why did you choose it rather than the rear cut? would you do the same again?

thanks.

Rosemary

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.