8 days sober and thanks!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi. I'm so sorry I've not been here for over a week but I couldn't look at my iPad until today when I'm feeling better. Well I've made it through the worst and not had a drink(apart from tapering down for 3 days on fosters which I hate!) for 8 days. 

Horrendous first 3 days but managed to do it without getting hallucinations which I've had in the past when I went cold turkey). Was very very sick tho, even in bed yuk!, I hope that was the last time. 

Over a litre of vodka for several days made me psychotic and went into black out for most of it. Did some terrible things, in hospital 3 times but they wouldn't detox me even tho my daughter told emergency services I was shouting and screaming over bad dreams and hallucinations. 

Chesterfield are rubbish where alcohol is concerned. Dr not allowed to medicate as have to go through addaction (social services) took 3 weeks to even get appt then another 2 weeks for next appt. gave up on them and hospital.

with the kindness, love and help from my dear old parents I managed to stop. They never judged or gave up on me( previously I said everyone had given up on me but they were away on hols) plus 2 friends at the end of phone have kept my spirits up.

If they had not been there for me I think I'd be dead or extremely ill now. 

Im determined not to go back to insanity and hell 

Thank you to everyone who posted to me, I am so grateful..C x 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi paper fairy....what fantastic news....well done, I know the wonder of being sober, and not feeling half dead.....

You were very COURAGEOUS to do it alone, I find the lack of help from services appalling.,!!! I had so, so much help from day one, and being sectioned four times literally saved my life...

You will feel better every day, and that will spur you on..and you will like yourself again....I am sooooo glad your made it...hold your head up high for your bravery, hard work and achievement...I wish you all the luck in the world paper fairy...big, big hugs..DEIRDRE...xxx

• Posted

Thanks for your lovely reply Deidre. It was very scary and painful but I was determined. The first 2 days were hell! Yes it is appalling but thats cut backs in Derbyshire NHS..3 times in hospital in an ambulance over a month, 2 visits to Addaction and 2 visits to doctors. No detox. I'm lucky to be alive. I pray I won't have to go through this again. Just got to stay positive 🙏
  • Posted

Hi paper fairy. Well done! That is good news. I was in the same position as you.Took myself to Hospital Monday begging for help with a Detox they were too busy waited 5 hours - no Detox. Spoke to my Key worker at Turning Point last week she knew how much I was drinking although sympathetic  she could not arrange a Detox until end of November !! So it was  do it your self  or die.Tueday could hardly walk well you know how I felt Took vitamins and sips of wine to ease the pain Tuesday night  I thought  I was going yo Die terrible night- no sleep Wednesday just took it easy ate something nice when i felt like a drink so cold turkey. Thursday the same.Today feeling slightly better.You have inspired me with your news so thank you. XX
    • Posted

It's a nightmare isn't it Susan.? I couldn't sit up without being sick the first day and the second day could hardly walk either. I too thought I was going to die, it was terrifying. But we've made it and must support each other through this..

Yay peagreenboat, both 8 days..we can do it!!

im not sleeping very well tho but it's better than being in hell or hungover!!!

And it's great to get my appetite back. 

Take care xx

• Posted

Hi Paper Fairy. Nightmare going shopping this morning-seeing all those BOTTLES ! Bought some chocolate instead- now I feel fat!! But not drunk which is better.Still early days for me only third day compared to your 9 almost days. Actually I don't fancy a drink too much still recovering probably.I expect the day will come though when the craving starts again (it usually does) more so when I see other people enjoying a large glass of white wine. I dare not go far at the moment in case i get stressed another trigger-so many triggers for me.Dreading Christmas-perhaps I'll hibernate.How do you deal with cravings when they come? I know I should be more positive but the DEMON is overwhelmimig and eventually I just give in forgetting the pain the poison gives me,So Difficult.Another day nearly over then it will be day 3.What a rubbish life being an ALCOHIC.Xx
    • Posted

Hi. You're doing well getting out on day 3, well done on ignoring the demon drink. I found it hard when I went to the shop the other day and I find weekends hard. I just have to eat early so the cravings go once you've stuffed your face! My treat is icecream, love it! Someone posted a craving only lasts 60 seconds but not sure if that's the same for me! Keep eating chocolate to satisfy the sugar craving. 

Ive had 2 positive days but really depressed today, think it's lack of sleep. It will pass though I hope.

Spag bog tonight, Corrie and icecream..what an exiting life I lead!! Better than being in blackout and a hangover from hell the next day tho! 

Keep smiling xxx

• Posted

we are proud of you!! You admit your problem and you are doing your best!! Keep trying and WE WILL SUPPORT YOU AND NOT MIS JUDGE...we have all been there and wish to help!! Keep us posted!!
  • Posted

It's terrible that GPs aren't able to sort it. I thought mine only said it, because I had already approached Addaction, but obviously it is a standard thing. He said he could get struck off for interfering, but gave me something to help with my depression, and I certainly was depressed about the situation, I wonder what medication helps depression? The thing was though, I think it was only the amount for depression and the amount you get given for detox is far higher.

It still felt like cold turkey though, I was laid up in bed for two days, it was the only way I could cope, as soon as I tried to get up it was awful, and the usual cramps, spasms and sweats, so not much sleep.

I actually ended up speaking to their Head of Clinical and Social Governance at Addaction hed office, to tell him of my bad experience, in fairness he did ring me, but I doubt much has changed.

Also, it is common to replace alcohol with sweets because most alcohol has a lot of sugar. But make it a short term thing, or keep low, because that's what I did. And it pushed me to the border line between, non diabetic and pre diabetic. It's reversible, but I'm not it is if you keep going at get to diabetic. Fortunately, I have regular bloods tests because of a number of other things, so it was nipped in the bud early, and I stopped eating sweets, or only ocassionally.

• Posted

Thanks for your post. Yes I put on over a stone in weight when I made 5 months earlier this year from eating too many sweets and cakes so will be more careful this time round..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.