8 months and not sure what to do

Posted , 4 users are following.

Fractured my ankle in June of 2016. Was playing ball, and heard a pop in my ankle and that is where it started. was initially told it was a sprain, went back into the hopsital after a week for xrays and was again told it was a sprain, was called back later and was told it was a posterior malleolour fracture. Later i was told it was an avulsion fracture. Spent 10 weeks in a walking boot, and was told to take it off immediately, and start physio, by the orthopedic surgeon, it is now September. did roughly 3-4 months of physio, and was told that the physiotherapist can do nothing to help me until i get an MRI. Recently got the MRI results back, and was confirmed that i fractured my medial malleolus, posterior malleolus and an avulsion fracture with inflammatuon in my ankle as well. Doctor told me that the avulsion fracture (ununited ossicle) was probably to small to do surgery on, and that my pain would eventually go away and i should be able to walk, stand and twist my ankle without pain evetually. Currently i have to crack and pop my ankle to make it feel somewhat normal, constant pain in the ankle, lucky if i get 20 minutes of walking without pain, and is very weak. Any suggestions? Would it be smart to get a second opinion on it?  

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I would definitely get a second opinion, as your life is really impacted by this. Also when my ankle was hurting more and more before surgery I was fitted for a brace that took a lot of weight off my ankle and this extended the time I could be on by hours. Maybe this would be a good option until it heals fully. Good luck!
  • Posted

I agree with Margie. Sorry to hear you have been through all this. No sure why there was so much confusion from the professionals on your condition. That must be really frustrating! Best of luck to you.
  • Posted

Would you send your MRI result here?

Why you faced this?! That bad!

How old are you?

• Posted

Thank you everyone for your well wishes and hopefully you have gotten a little better news or some relief lately. Seen the orthapedic surgeon recently, and I will be getting a ORIF medial malleolus surgery on my ankle next week as well as a cortisone shot on the other side of my ankle for inflammation . Hoping this will go well an can get some relief soon myself, any tips or tricks for post op surgery, as this will be my first surgery. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.