8 Months Post Orif - An Update

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hope I can bring some kind of relief to those who are at the start of their long journey after recently having Orif Surgery. Here is mine....

Well I really now can see a light at what seemed a dark tunnel at the beginning. Hurrah, swelling in the last few months has subsided massively, yes still there but nowhere like it was in the early months at all, my shoe is loose now on my left foot even at the end of the day.

Stiffness - yes in the morning and late evening but with the regular exercises like stretching my achilles every once in a while and standing on tippee toes whilst sitting down as well as rotating the ankle does alleviate the stiffness especially in the mornings. Takes me a good few minutes to get the old left foot moving but I will take that anyday of the week.

Visited the Doctor who wanted to see how it was doing and he was impressed how remarkable progress was and said that others have a less than favourable outcome after this type of surgery! I count my blessings every day!!!

I hope that my little update gives the ones at the start of the journey a boost and a lift and remember this is a temporary glitch you can and will get better xx

Michelle x

3 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

well michelle1 you give my hope - just feel like i want my

life back - feel like the last 3 days iv had more pain than when i first broke it - just question myself all the time - friends keep saying can you not walk properly yet - feel like screaming - its only 9 weeks but its like 9 months

• Posted

promise you it will and does get better xx I relied heavily on a positive mindset despite sometimes feeling like i was going backwards some days xx staying focused and kept telling myself this is temporary sure helped me xx

• Posted

me too!! I'm 5 months in and still use a crutch occasionally and I always get asked if its playing me up again I'm like erm no it hasn't stop playing me up since I done it!!!

• Posted

it is a long road back and all will work out

Im 7 months post op and doing very well Going back to bartending next week

And like Michelle, some days its still a little stiff but once Im up and moving it loosens right up

• Edited

great news, i know the feeling . i'm two years and back to my usual routine. keep doing your therapy and develop an exercise routine , whether it be walking, running , weightlifting or anything that strengthens the ankle.

• Posted

kenneth i have a bike now so fully intend to utilise it once the weather gets a bit better x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.