8 Months since my op

Posted , 11 users are following.

Well it has been 8 months since my op and honestly I wish I never bothered. I am daily in more pain now from the toe and surrounding it ; have a numb sensation surrounding the toe quite often and my range of movement isnt the greatest since the op. Also im getting used to walking off balance now I wonder if any problems will arise in the future due to this.

After exercise it still swells although not anywhere near as bad as it first did.

I was told that the average healing time ranges between 6-12 months. Well im now 3/4 of the way through my "healing period" and its doesnt still feel like im over the hill. I have since put on 2 1/2 stone weight through sheer greediness but not being able to do my 3/4 runs a week is contributing to my ever increasing waist line. I have since started walking 5km daily again to build up my legs and whilst training to regain proper balance it will take time but in hope it works.

Anyone else experienced difficulty this far on? Or are finding it hard to exercise.

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Paul, Sorry to read of your disappointment, discomfort and difficulties. I am an active 70 year old lady who had a Scarf Akin operation (left foot) with two metal pins in my big toe,10 months ago. I began doing stretching and 'curling toes' exercises from 4 weeks; walking little by little from 7 wks - was increasing the distance every few days;  began driving again using my left foot on the clutch from 8 weeks. I continued to elevate my foot whenever I had discomfort - up to 7/8 months - and I wore shoes that were bigger and wider than normal. Why are you walking off balance I wonder? Is it because you are in pain or does your foot feel stiff. I went through some stiffness like this and was walking on the outside of my foot. I knew this would cause problems and so 'forced' myself to do a little exercise. To get into a correct gait, I'd start by imagining I was squashing a lemon with the sole of my foot. By placing my foot heel down first, then rolling the length of my foot to the end of my toes I found that I soon got into the habit of walking properly. As for numbness, this is something that sometimes happens and you should have been warned beforehand - it's a risk we have to take - literature on this operation does mention it. We all heal differently, this is a challenging recovery but we have to play our part too. Try and do more stretching and flexing of your toes and eventually standing on tip-toe. Once full flexibility has been achieved your discomfort and walking should improve. I think what I'm trying to say is be patient, you sound like you are doing just fine- just get that foot more flexible and elevate it if it swells or is uncomfortable. For any ladies reading, I can now wear fashionable fairly high shoes for special occasions but smart comfortable flats for casual wear. As for weight gain that's inevitable but now your increasing your exercise that will soon go. LadyPink
  • Posted

Hi Paul, I meant to add that I for one am absolutely DELIGHTED with the results of my SCARF AKIN BUNIONECTOMY and can't wait to get my other foot done next month. LadyPink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.