8 months with mono - Update

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hope everyone is doing well through the long journey of recovery. It's been 8 months since I was diagnosed. Have to say, supplements like vitamin C, vitamin D, vitamin B complex and coconut oil really do help on your recovery. I don't feel fatigue anymore. The anxiety and nausea are gone and I'm back on my healthy diet. There's only one thing that bothers me though and it's been like this since the beginning of my experience with mono. The tonsils. I think I have chronic tonsillitis. My tonsils never recovered. They're still hurting, full of pus now turned into tonsil stones (ew, disgusting). I've gotten rid of the stones on the right side, but my left tonsil is still full and I'm not able to find a way to get the stones out. Sometimes my neck hurts so bad (probably the lymph nodes) and there's some mild ear pain, always on the left side. Headaches are also present, but not so bad. I also have a running nose and sore throat. That's why I think I got chronic tonsillitis. I'll have an appointment with my doctor in 2 weeks or so and I'll keep you guys updated. Just wanted to know if any of you had any problems with the tonsils like I got. I'm 25 and I'm kinda scared if I lose my tonsils to mono. Doctors usually recommend tonsillectomy if you suffer chronic tonsillitis.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tea,

It is good to read that you have made progress in what must have been an awful 8 months to go through. Really hoping these throat and neck issues settle down soon too, I think it just seems that some people are more prone to that kind of thing lingering during and in the recovery stage of mono than others. I didn't have so many problems with my throat as I can recall but I did have a reactive gland in my neck which was sore and swollen and lingered, it was probably one of the last symptoms to leave me and still had it as I started to feel better - it did go eventually so just want to reassure you that can happen and there is still hope. 

Hoping very much that your throat and tonsils settle, I can understand the thought of having to have tonsils out is a scary one, hopefully it's just the final stages of this horrible virus and remember it can take certainly a year for many people to start to fully and properly recover, just different for everyone I guess. Thinking about you and hang in there.

Craig

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words, Craig. I really hope I can recover as soon as possible. It's been indeed 8 awful months. Hopefully the worst part is gone.

• Posted

I do hope so Tea, it's not easy to hang onto hope when in hard times I know that myself right now. Just hang in there and remember that this thing doesn't last forever, even though it seems that way at the time I know. Hoping for better times ahead. 

Craig

• Posted

I had very similar symptoms tea.  I'm not sure they are related to me having mono or not, but now you have me wondering.   I dealt with the same problems for a very long time, trying various remedies, but ultimately it was the surgery that fixed the problem.  (tonsillectomy).  1 of the tonsils partly grew back, weird right?  I will say this, not having tonsills def reduced the pain of subsequent  colds and flus.  You get a little scratchy throat, but not much pain.

I would recommend an ENT, they will try multiple things before going the surgery route, they may work for you.  If you do need surgery, my recommendation is find a doctor who knows some of the newer techniques.  Mine was an old school doctor who used an old technique which resulted in part of my tonsil coming back and an uncomfortable recovery.

Good luck, I definitely know what you are going through.  Lots of gum, and I found sneezing really loudly through your mouth was a good way to get the stones out.

• Posted

What did your ENT say?

Sounds like the tonsils will need to come out. It's not nearly as bad as you might think. I had mine removed about 10 years ago when I was a full adult. The recovery sucked for about a week. It was not at all mono related, but I was getting strep throat constantly.

Ever since my tonsils have been gone, I rarely, if ever, get a sore throat. Even when I'm sick, it just feels a little dry.

Since I got mono, my throat gets dry, but that's about it. I heard stories about how tonsils enlarged so big, they were touching (happened to a friend when she had mono). I can at least say I didn't have to worry about that since I haven't had tonsils in many years.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.