8 Surgeries, 3 ACL replacements-ins won’t approve TKR

Posted , 6 users are following.

Newbie to the Forum. Ive had 8 knee surgeries, 5 on right w 2 being ACL Replacements & 3 on left w 1 being ACL Replacement. I'm in my late 40's and can barely walk because i'm in so much pain. Insurance wont approve TKR's & I'm at a loss as to what i can do. I used to be very active & athletic (tore up my knees playing baseball) and it's very depressing to not be able to do normal things like WALK without being in so much pain. Exercising is difficult & no access to a pool. The pain is getting worse & worse and my QOL is going down hill. I've tried both orthovisc & synvisc which minimally help for about a month or 2. Don't think the pain of getting the shots outweigh the benefits of the shot. Looking for any suggestions on other treatments or therapies that may be helpful w the pain. At this point, I'm desperate & willing to try most anything that will help with the pain.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

if hour insurance wont cover TKR.....will they cover physiotherapy

• Posted

I feel for you mate!

Can you go and get a second/third ''' opinion? you need an immediate solution, sorry I can't help!

I had TKR 12 months ago and I can't straighten my leg and my ROM is a mere 25 degrees.

Good luck!!!!

• Posted

These are great exercises to get your ROM back at home...

ROM At Home

I started out at -14/+84 and got to -1/+123 at 12 weeks post op. Four years later, I'm 0/+133...it took a ton of work and pain to get there. There's an aid device that could help....

• Posted

Damn...you beat me!!! I had four knee scopes, two each side and then years of Synvisc shots before a left TKR. It was a brutal surgery with an equally brutal initial recovery (3 months) and then a full recovery at the one year mark. This is not an op to go into lightly. I've had five lumbar spine ops plus the knee and a hip...the knee was the worst.

Lucky for you, there is an intermediate step between what you've done and a TKR...and that is COOLIEF. This is a Cooled Radiofrequency Ablation of the nerves surrounding the knee. During the 15-minute op done under sedation, the doc deadens the nerves around the joint (knee, hip, elbow, shoulder) that are causing the pain to be transmitted to the brain. Takes a few weeks to take full effect but can last up to two years. Hurts again? Just redo the procedure. COOLIEF is FDA-approved and known to put off a TKR for quite a while.

Visit the COOLIEF website for more information and to locate a certified doc near you. Worth a look.

• Posted

Any good advice for me all types physio makes my knee worse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.