8 week hurdle

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi hippies at almost 8 weeks I really thought I'd cracked this but last 2 days lots aches and discomfort on op side .Now getting me down as walk yesterday a struggle. Can't say it's pain . As I put yesterday am struggling with driving as uncomfortable but have ordered wedge . I am otherwise active doing all normal household chores etc . Due back to work 4 weeks so panicking a bit . Still get very tired but in past have had chronic fatigue so combination.

Is it me ?

Denise

2 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I'm six and a half weeks and have had the same aches and pains. It's disheartening just when you think you're over the worst!
  • Posted

Hi Denise,

I am 9 weeks tomorrow, and no its not just you, sometimes I think I am now fully ok and perhaps over do it a bit. We have to remember its not such a long time since a major op.  My driving is still only short journeys and I still find it uncomfortable. I also some days feel a lot more tired than others, and if I have had a long walk one day the following day I rest a bit more etc., Please don't panic we are all different, but remember to be kind to yourself and not expect too much all the time.  If the discomfort continues, give your doc a call if you are still worried, but I think most people a few weeks post op still get aches and pains sometimes.  I'm lucky my mum has had 2 so she is able to share her experiences.

• Posted

Thanks cate. My mum had one last year but unfortunately for me she is one of those people had no problems what so ever so I end up feeling pathetic whimp !

Have nice day (still feeling rubbish )

Denise

• Posted

Hi Swindon60,

i am just starting week 9 and finding myself feeling more frustrated each week. Yesterday we went to an outside fair and some shopping later and I was exhausted by nightime. So many aches and pains, including a few pulled muscles. I'm grateful to not have hip pain but so many other aches now. Wondering if this is normal. The combination of chronic fatigue must be challenging for you. It seems like there are so many that are doing so well I wonder what I'm doing wrong. I hope you're feeling better. I'm sure this will be worth it in the end. We just need to hang in there.

• Posted

Ah Carol maybe we just do too much ! And I'm starting to think is it my chronic fatigue or is it post op fatigue ?? We need to look after ourselves and rest up (I am rubbish at the rest up bit)

Take care you are doing just fine

Regards Denise

• Posted

My doctor told me that my body (muscles, tendons, etc) would be readjusting to my new hip for a while.  There would be aches and pains in strange places (not necessarily the operated leg). I'm starting week 8 and am finding this to be true.  I've not tried to do as much as you and I can understand how you'd be tired and sore.  We're in the early stages still and I guess I'm going to have to be patient while my body realigns itself and gets used to a new way of walking and moving.

Hugs!

• Posted

I am 9 weeks post-op and I hate to sound like a baby but I hurt pretty much every single minute of every single day. I had the lateral approach and I feel like someone sewed a brick in my thigh. Today my thigh is swollen and I've had to ice and elevate it.  I have also developed a Trendelenburg gait so I need a cane for support until I can strengthen my muscles. is everyone still taking anti-inflamatories or pain meds? I take Tylenol twice a day and think I may have to step that up.
    • Posted

dear nana, 

I am so sorry to hear this ... it is not unusual though - you also had a bad fall ... 

are you back at work? 

you might want to step up the tylenol - if your pain is really preventing you from walking or being a bit more active, maybe you can get stronger pain meds prescribed ... 

warm big hug

renee

• Posted

I take an Advil or an Aleve rather than Tylenol because most of the time I feel the pain and soreness are due to inflammation and swelling.  I also ice and elevate.  I'm 8 weeks post-op and last night I had to take a Vicodin because I did too much yesterday and couldn't sleep because I was uncomfortable.
    • Posted

Hello Renee,

Thank you for the encouragement! I see my surgeon next week and he will determine if/when I can return to work. 

I'm stepping up the meds and also switching to Aleve. Had the best day yet today! smile

Tricia

• Posted

Before the op i worked full time. ...11 hrs a day. Ive more ups and downs in the last week...from infection....2 rounds of gastro.... a bee swarm....well today i felt good... so what did i do.... i did too much. I vacummed...laundry. ...dishes...went to 3 stores. . Paid bills.... its now late afternoon and im exhausted and sore... my lower back and thigh is aching. My iwn fault. ... btw... i 4 weeks post op
    • Posted

Sassy, I've been following your progress and your ups and downs.  You've had a time of it.  Glad you had a better day.  I'm guilty of the same thing.  "I'm doing better!  I'll do a lot and wear myself out!"  Take it easy tomorrow. :D

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.