8 weeks after total Knee replacement

Posted , 13 users are following.

I had my right knee replaced. Almost all the pain is gone except for one spot that gets really tender.

The swelling is still there but is small. My only problem is my flexion is at 110 degrees. From what I've read from other posts I think that is normal?

Still walk with a limp. The only time I use a cane is in gravel. And I take cane on my 20 minute walks.

Still have trouble stretching my knee because of the pain. I do my exercises like squats, heel raises, leg lifts, stationery bike, lungs on stairs and stretching my knee with my good leg.

Is there anything else that may help stretching my knee?

Still muscles get tight around my knee when I walk

Any help would be a big help to me 

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

That's really good! You are a week ahead of me and I am struggling to get to 110. I have PT tomorrow. 

I don't know what to tell you but I understand from so many good people on this site that it will continue to improve! Time, exercise and resting when needed.

Wishing you continued success.

• Posted

Hi Robin,

I've had pt up until week 6. How much longer do you have pt? Yea I have waited 6 years for this.

And I've got the time. Just hope my Doctor don't decide to malamute my knee when I see him in 5 weeks

?Good luck to you

• Posted

Hi Ronnie,

I have 5 more sessions scheduled for PT because I didn't make the goal they wanted me to reach at 6 weeks. They want me at 120 if possible. I just got to 106 today on my own esteem no one helping me or manipulating slide to help me. So that made me feel kinda good. 

I am kinda slow healer I think. But today was the first day I didn't have a lot of pain smile I was able to peddle stationary bike forward for first time immediately. Usually, I have had to go backwards then forwards. I hope i am actually getting better now. It will be such a relief. Thursday it will be 8 weeks post op.

I wish you success at docs office and 6 weeks PT I think is pretty normal. So good for you. wink

• Posted

Hi Ronnie

It's really sounds like you are following the more normal time line. My right TKR was 12 weeks before really no pain, or burning sensation.

Keep icing, or doing what's good and comfortable for you. The worst is behind you. You are on the homeward stretch.

Good healing

• Posted

Hi Ronnie!

Sounds like you are doing all the right things! Be patient. It will all come together!

Try stretching before you even get out of bed. That continues to help me two YEARS post surgery! Stretch before getting up out of a chair or restaurant booth, too. The loosening that stretching provides gives you the best chance of a smooth takeoff!

Keep up the good work!😁

• Posted

Hello Cheryl

It sounds like you still get stiff 2 years out?

I do some stretching before getting out of bed. The mornings are the worst for me.

Have a question for you. How do you stretch your leg or knee sitting in a chair or a booth?

Thank you for your insight

• Posted

Hi Ronnie!

Yes, if I am sitting for awhile at a restaurant or in the theatre or just watching TV I can feel my body getting stiff. I have arthritis in my back, my elbows, my hips, my fingers and in my shoulders. The first few minutes of waking up or from sitting or even standing awhile in the same place feels like somebody glued all my joints. Osteoarthritis is like this.

I've learned to KEEP MOVING! I fidget A LOT just to keep loose. After five minutes or so I am OK again, but the stiffness can set in quickly!

My new knees are my best joints now. They don't hurt, and they aren't nearly as stiff as the rest of me!😄😄

I keep pretty active now that my knees are NEW AND IMPROVED! Raked seven carts of walnuts last Monday and five more yesterday. Our squirrels are DEFINITELY all set for the winter and I am able to cut the grass without rocking and rolling over WALNUTS. I love being able to be active again since my knees feel good!😄

Stretching from a chair or in a booth goes like this: First gently slide a leg up until it is straight. Bring it back down slowly. Shift your weight to one side and do the same stretching movement at a different angle. Hold the stretch a bit. Booths are good because you can place your foot against the opposite bench and lean in a bit to achieve a better stretch. For my hips I bring both knees together then tilt them to the right, hold, then to the left. (I'm doing these stretches as I'm sitting and writing this!) It REALLY helps to KEEP MOVING!

• Posted

Hi Ronnie. All I can say is at 5 weeks I'm about the same as you or just a bit behind so all the lovely people on here say it all takes time and we are individual with our recovery, pain threshold etc. One of my exercises I do which helps is placing a rolled up towel under my stretched out knee and press down on it 10 times. Also have you seen Groucho Marx on here very informative chap and also very funny. I am endetered to him. Felt very alone and demotivated but much better now. Keep pushing ahead it will give great results in the end. Happy to stay in touch. Daph

• Posted

Hello Daph,

That towel trick does wonders. My extension is great. It is where it should be.

Are you having trouble with the stairs? I can go up the stairs without much trouble, it is going down the is my problem. But I know just have to work on that and do my exercises/

Around 5 weeks I started getting back into my daily routine. It feels good to go back to a regular routine. I started driving at week 6.

If it wasn't for this little tender spot I would be off my Tramadol. I can deal with the stiffness and knee getting tight.

I get the same way at times of not being motived and its hard. It does help to have a support group.

Be glad to stay in touch

Ronnie

• Posted

Hi Ronnie. Thinking about it i too have the tender spot but not all the time. Its noticeable more when im in bed and wantibg to lay on my side. I have to put a pillow between my knees to ease it. The other side of my knee has a numb area but that is just starting to ease a little. I also feel soreness all around the scar and its not nice when i try and turn over or move at night. I have been massaging the area. I still find tbe cold wrap on the knee is good and resting it after exercise feels good. There is a definate improvement. I went to the ci ema last night and sat through "Blade Runner". Very long film and i endured the discomfort. Leg feels very stiff from that experience. No pain no gain. I too am doing more around the house and dont use my sticks very much. I have gained my balance and mobility enough to forget about them. Bio oil or aloe vera gel is good to use on the scar, mine looks very good. Speak again soon Daph

• Posted

Forgot to mention the stairs. Going up is definately better than coming down. I tend to swing my leg and hip out with each step on the way down. I got a bit of sciatica doing that so i am now more careful. My bend is still at 105 degrees but the physio is happy. D
    • Posted

Hi Daph,

?In bed my knee is the same way. Been trying to use a pillow between my knees but that only lasts for a few minutes. I want to sleep on my left side so bad but just can't get comfortable

just because of this tender spot.

Been thinking about seeing Blade Runner but I know I will pay for it in stiffness

My scar isn't all that tender any more but I still message my knee a lot to try and loosen up the scar tissue.

?I still go down steps with 2 feet on one step.

Hope to hear from you soon

Ronnie

• Posted

Hi Ronnie,I’m 7 weeks into recovery and I can relate to everything you say,I to seem to have a tender spot but mine is on the inside side on my knee and you say your muscles get tight when you walk in my case if I’m only a decent walk my knee tightens as if the swelling increases and I don’t get the same bend on the knee when I get home until I ice it normally 120 flex,but it’s early days and I can see light at the end of the tunnel now,where maybe walking to far too soon ? After all we’ve had major trauma to our knee.good luck,stay positive.
    • Posted

Hello Brent,

?Yea my tender spot is also on the left or inside of the knee. I'm just frustrated because that is the same spot that  was  hurting me before the surgery.

I am still at a slow walk, for my distance in walking I get comfortable with the distance then push a little further. After my walks I use the stationery bike to loosen up my knee. It does wonders. Haven't iced my knee in almost 2 weeks.

Hope that your recovery goes well

• Posted

Hi Ronnie,just had my follow up appointment with the surgeon,asked him about my ‘pain hot spot’same place as before the op his reply perfectly 

normal and I also asked why when I go for a walk my knee stiffens up like it’s swollen again and again perfectly normal he says seven weeks in is really early days and  not

to push to hard with the exercises and Walking as this will knock your recovery back significantly.so Ronnie hope this puts your mind to rest (and mine)

• Posted

Hello Brent,

?Thanks for the information. Yea it puts my mind more at ease with this hot spot.

I know 7 weeks is still early in our recovery, when I've been told it will take 6 months to a year for healing and getting back to normal.

• Posted

I am almost 5 weeks post op from a right tkr. I am so delighted to find this forum as it is great to talk to others who have had this done. My progress seems ok at this stage. My knee bend last Thursday was 110 degrees. My main problem is sleeping at night. I continually waken with the pain and find it very difficult to get comfortable. I was interested to read what you said about using the static bike to loosen the knee after walks. I started using the static bike just over a week ago. I am maybe being a little cautious ( afraid of overdoing it and suffering afterwards) I tend to do 2 mins 3 times a day as part of my exercise regime but haven’t tried it after walking as my leg is usually quite achy. Would you recommend longer sessions on bike?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.