8 weeks and getting worse not better!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all was on Fluoxetine about 3 years ago for anxiety, dizziness and panic attacks which were happening in public places and when in social situations. The Flux seemed to help greatly to the extent i came off about a year ago and also due the fact it had raised my Cholesterol level. I was fine for about 6 months until the dreaded symptoms came back again.

This time I tried some natural remedies and CBT but unfortunately neither helped/worked. I have now been back on Flux for 8 weeks, 1 week at 10mg and now 7 weeks at 20mg, and unfortunately no improvement at all and has actually got a lot worse to the extent I am constantly suffering from strong anxiety and feeling very helpless to the extent I think I'm becoming acrophobic, as I don't want to leave the house and just sit on the sofa watching tv! Also family life suffering as I am so down all the time.

Last week I have had the week from hell where the anxiety is through the roof and much worse than the start up symptoms also suffering with morning nausea, constant lightheaded faint feelings and strange jaw discomfort.

I have a docs appoint on Tues, but looking for a bit of advice before I go as to whether I should hold on, increase dose or look at switching, was thinking of trying Citalopram if I do.

Any help would be most gratefully received

0 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

• Edited

hi paul it sounds to me your dose isnt high enough yet perhaps u need to get the gp to put u up to 40 mg.u tend to feel alot worse till it gets into your system properly ive been back on it nearly 5 wks 3wks at 20mg and nearly 2wks on 40 mg have started to have odd days where i feel slightly better but then go down again and i dont leave the house.im at the dentist tomorrow and panicing about leaving the house but i have to go.im sure u will soon begin to feel a bit better if your gp ups your tablets.please keep in touch and let me know how you are.

• Posted

Hi Bazza many thanks for the reply

Went to my docs and he has now switched me to Escitalopram (lexapro) I have to stop taking Fluoxetine for a week then start. Hope the dentist went ok for you i know how difficult that can be so well done for going.

• Posted

hi paul i wasnt to bad at the dentists im back in 3 wks for impressions and another 3wks after that for my implant.the anxiety came back full force for the rest of the day was very down again seems like when i leave the house it gets really bad went on thurs to hospital to hospital with my husband and the same thing happened.i didnt feel quite so bad when i got up this morning but feel very down again tonight.hope the meds soon kick in it seems an age since i started them .i was on prozac before but dont remember it taking so long or all the side effects when you increase.hope u get on ok with lexapro and it doesnt take so long to work have u taken it before u would think by now the powers that be could give us something that works a lot faster there is so many people withthis its time they got there act together.please keek in touch and let me know how you feel.pleased i found this forum it does help to not feel so alone.

• Posted

Hi again Bazza

Glad the Dentist wasn't too bad but you sound very similar to me with your anxiety mine comes on in public places horrible isn't it?

Been off Flux now for 5 days and i must say i am feeing so much better no more constant anxiety that i was getting and my head just feels clear again and more like my old self apart from a bit of dizziness which i think could be down to the abrupt stop.

Im due to start the Lexapro on Friday and was actually thinking of maybe not starting, but went food shopping this morning and the feeling of panic and anxiety came back while i was there, so definitely think i still need something.

Hope your road to recovery continues, but don't be scared if they don't work and you have to try something else like i do. Fluxoetine worked great for me in the past but this time round was totally different. i haven't taken Lexapro before so if new territory to me.

Anytime you fancy a chat please contact me as i agree this forum doesn't make you feel alone, and i think us anxious people benefit from sharing our feelings

• Posted

hello paul thanks for your input i dare hardly say this but i feel a bit brighter today long may it continue.had appointment today to see a psychiatrist it went quite well he listened to me which makes a change and was interested in what i had tried in the past and what medicationi had been on before.i have also tried magnetic therapy not on the nhs but private it didnt work for me but it does help a lot of people but it is expensive they use it a lot on war veterans help the heroes i found it on line when i was desperately looking for anything that might help.the psychiatrist was really interested in that apprently there is research going on at the moment in the nhs about it helping people with the dreaded depression and anxiety.he told me to carry on with my 40 mg prozac for now and he will see me in 2 wks.i also ask him about suppliments [vitamins etc]he said to take them along with meds it might help.i will keep u informed have a good night bazza xx

• Posted

hi paul just checking to see if youre ok havent heard from u for a few please let me know how u are coping .bazza x

• Posted

Hi Bazza sorry hadn't logged on for a while and thought i had set up so it emailed when i had a reply but it didn't so missed your reply. Glad you was feeling a bit better and hope that day wasn't just a blip and you are on your road to recovery. That's interesting about magnetic therapy never heard of that to be honest, may look into if tabs don't work.

Been on my tabs now for a week and not had much side effects which is good only thing is I've been feeling really dizzy, not sure if this is a side effect of new tabs or poss withdrawal from Flux anyway today has been a lot better so long may it continue, and anxiety hasn't been as bad as it was a couple of weeks ago. Im still only on the starting dose so will prob have to up in next couple of weeks to the amount they recommend for anxiety.

Keep in touch and happy for you to private message me

Paul

• Posted

hi paul pleased to hear from u and hope u feel better and better do u think the anxiety is less because of the tablets/now im feeling better my anxiety is much less as well perhaps it goes hand in hand with feeling brighter.the magnetic theraphy didnt work for me but i wonder if ihad been down to long for a miracle to happen apparently they siad they ve had a 100 % success but it is a lot of money if u dont get a lift with it and the disappointment it hastnt worked which is even worse when u are banking on something to make u feel better .im quite happy to take the tabs if they work im also taking a supplement called brainsmart as well hoping it helps so i dont have to up my dose of prozac and there is no side effects with them.i know its extra money to pay out but if they work i think its worth it in the long run to feel happy.i can private message u but u will have to explain how i do it im a novice with computers.hope things carry on going up for u be in touch bazza x

• Posted

Hi Bazza

Thanks again for the reply, feeling bit more anxious again today but hopefully just a bad day, so glad you are feeling better. Never heard of Brainsmart where do you get that from?

To private message you should have option under my username in messages ill message you and hopefully you get it x

• Posted

Hi paul, how are you doing on the new tablets? I'm still waiting for the fluoxetine to work fully (or if they ever will) really don't like the thought of having to change to different ones, i'm so up and down though and really unsure of what to do.

• Posted

Hi Lindsey thanks for message, How long have you been on Fluoxetine? Sorry to hear its not working fully yet have you been on it before? Dont be afraid to try different tabs though if they are not working for you.

Im not doing too bad so far certainly better than when i was on Flux it was making me so anxious when i was on it, the new tabs are certainly not helping me fully yet but only been on them for just over a week but not getting the levels of anxiety i was getting with Flux, just the odd dizzy spell which hopefully will go.

Let me know how you get on

• Posted

Hi Paul, sorry for the late reply I've had a crap couple of days. I've been on 20mg for 15 weeks and my anxiety seems to be getting a bit better but I'm still struggling with low mood and just can't seem to get my head round doing anything unless i really have to. I've searched the internet for other peoples stories and quite a few say it can take up to 4 months to start feeling better, so i'm still praying for improvement 🤞🤞 It really scares me the thought of changing tablets as i don't want to go through all the side effects again, but neither can i go on feeling like this!! How are you doing? x

• Posted

Ah Lindsey so sorry to hear that you are still suffering, thats not good after being on them that length of time, and must be horrible. I know i was getting to the end of my tether after just 8 weeks.

What has your Doctor said to do?

What is the reason you are on tablets?

I had exactly the same thoughts about changing tablets as you, but the way i was feeling I thought it couldn't get any worse, and as soon as I stopped the flux i felt so much better. Not had any major side effects on my new tabs which had been good so far, just some dizziness but i had that before.

I know i wouldn't be happy waiting for up to 4 months to start feeling better, and i think Fluoxetine is one of the ones to take longer to work, but i am no expert.

Do hope you get better and keep in touch x

• Posted

Hi Paul, todays not been such a bad day! The weather has picked up and i've managed to go running (which really helps my head 😊)

I know 4 months of waiting for the tablets to work is a bloody long time, and i'm my own worse enemy at times by over thinking everything!!

I'm taking them for anxiety and low mood, i saw the doctor 2 weeks ago and she said i may need to up my dose ( but that worries me too)

my anxiety is not as bad as it was, and i've waited this long so i may as well give it a couple more weeks! 🤞🤞🤞

Its good to know you've managed to switch tablets without any major side effects, please keep in touch and let me know how you're getting on x

• Posted

I'm on 40 mg right now Lindsey and I see my Dr. on Monday. I am not where I would like to be with this medication so I am willing to take a higher dosage to see if I have better results.

• Posted

Hi Postaldogg, I think we've been on the tablets the same amount of time, are you any better at all? Let me know how you get on at the doctors, it helps talking on here xx

• Posted

I still have that obsessive thinking but I think the anxiety from it may have lessened. I would like to feel much better though

• Posted

My anxiety has lessened too but like you I really want to feel better in myself. I wish i could turn my thoughts off just for a while to give me a break!!

Think I'm going to have to give in and go back to the doctors though and see about upping my dose. x

• Posted

I have no problem upping my dose as my side effects are minimal. I would just like to give this a chance before trying something else

• Posted

hi paul lindsey and postaldogg sorry to hear ure all a bit down and anxious hope u all pick up soon its horrible feeling the way u do.ive be better this past week and ive stayed up no plunging back to rock bottom didnt think it was ever going to pick up but it has and long may it last please dont give upi feel so much better and im sure it will happen to u.my appetite has come back and so has my sleeping got muuch better it seems to all come together this last few days .pual the brainsmart u ask about i got it off the internet ithink its called natural mood u get 60 capsules for about £27 and free delivery it says www. brain smart .net.mood advanced brain nutrition.have ask my gp if it was ok to take with prozac he said yes so thought it was worth a try i know its expensive but if it works its worth it.i dont want to increase the prozac because of the side effects taking vitamins u dont get the side effects .im on 40 mg prozac have been for about 5wks was on 20 mg for 3wks but i must have needed the higher dose to get some relief.and i think the brainsmart has helped as well i taken 1 a day for about 3wks but its safe to take 2 a day if u need to.hope this information might help u all.it really does help to be on this forum.im back at the psychiatrist tomorrow will let u know how i get on.xx

• Posted

So glad to hear you're finally feeling better!!! I've made an appointment with the doctor for next thursday, and i'm going to ask to up my dose, i've got to as i can't keep feeling like this. It really sounds like you're getting your life back together which is brilliant and gives me hope that i will too 😊 please keep in touch and let me know how you're getting on!!

• Posted

Hi lindsey think u are doing the right thing upping your tabs the quicker u get on the higher dose the better i needed the higher dose and once it kicked in everything seem to happen at once my appetite and sleep came back and im doing stuff i havent done for months been for my well woman app today havent been to the surgury in 7 months so that was a big thing for me so take heart that it will happen to u.got on okay at the consultants yesterday hes very down to earth and is open to taking vitamins etc along with meds which thy were very much against doing anything other than what they prescribed which is goog they need to get into the real world and not just read from books.i always ask gps and the mental health people if they have had anxiety and depression then watch them squirm when they say no and i tell then they cant understand what it feels like.one thing having this problem has made me aware of what u can find out by going on line and digging around for answersits also made me speak up for myself cos if u dont nobody else will.anyway hope youre feeling a bit brighter its such a drag waking up and nothings changed mood wise i know that feeling to well hpoe your daughter ok ive got two girls alot older than yours they have been a big help to me this time ive been down .i didnt use to tell anyone how i felt so u feel cut off from the real world.be in touch bazza x

• Posted

hi bazza, I hope you're still on the up and feeling better. Thursday can't come quick enough for me now, its in my mindset to up my dose now!!

I know what you mean by feeling cut off from the real world, and no one really knows how you feel, it must be great to confide in your daughters. I have a fantastic partner who is so understanding, but its still hard trying to explain how you feel!!

Keep in touch and let me know how you're getting on xxx

• Posted

hello lindsey is it this thurs u go back to the gp hope u get on ok .im still doing well and just hope against hope it carries on .my husband said to have faith and it would work couldnt see it myself but he was right perhaps we are to impatient but u want it to work straight away and not have to waitit is so frustrating im not the most patient person in the world.let me know how u get on bazzaxx

• Posted

Hi Bazza, I'm so pleased you're continuing to feel better, thats just brilliant!! 😊😊

Yes its thursday i'm back at the docs, and trying to stay positive.

I know what you mean about being impatient, my hubby is the same saying to give it time and stay positive but sometimes thats easier said than done, but i suppose we have no choice!

I'll let you know how i get on at the docs, take care and i'll speak to you soon. xxx

• Posted

hi linsey hope u got on ok at the doctors yesterday im got my fingers croossed they have upped the dose for u so u can soon feel the benefits.u may feel a bit out of sorts to start with but stay withit it does get better it my work quicker for u because u have been on the lower dose of tabs longer than i was will speak later.xx

• Posted

Hi bazza, she didn't up my dose, but insisted i made an appointment to go to talking therapy which i have done but they are so busy it looks like i'll have to wait a couple of months, not in a great frame of mind right now but not sure what else i can do, back at the docs in 4 weeks but will go sooner if i think i have to.

Hope you're still on the up xxxx

• Posted

hi lindsey im so disappointed for u what was the reason she gave u for not upping the dose just when u got ure head around increasing it thats not right u know how down u feel she should be listening to u they now have to ask u what u want to do they have put the owness on patients now the consultant told me that last wk when i saw him and hes a lot higher up than a gp.i wouldnt wait 4 wks have u ask to be referred to a mental heath doctor the gp has got to refer u to the right people shes clearly no help at all could u ask another gp at your surgury and get the help u need its your right to do that .please dont take no for an answer insist u are referred straight away thats what i had to do.please let me know how u go on i would get another app after the weekend i know its not easy getting an app if its anything like our surgury but u need to see some one as soon as possible .good luck and keep me informed sorry i cant help anymore xx

• Posted

hi again dont let them fob u off with talking theraphy its useless its a tactit to delay your treatment and then its out of there hands and budget.xx

• Posted

thanks so much for your message bazza, and you're right, i do need to speak up for myself, i just seem to have lost all confidence in myself at the moment, and to be honest i really don't see what good talking therapy will do!

I will make another appointment monday with a different doctor and see what they say, i really can't go on like this! Thank you for making me see sense!! xxxx

• Posted

hi lindsey how are u feeling today still down.im pleased ure going to try and see another doctor say u cant carry on like this its your wellbeing not theirs you might have to insist they increase it to make u feel ure trying to help yourself.i will keep everything crossed they listen to u this time.have u heard from paul lately ihavent he might see this message and get in touch hope hes ok.will be in touch soon ok xxx

• Posted

Hi Guys sorry haven't been on herein a while, I've set it to message me when i get a reply, but doesn't seem to be working so ill check more often.

Sorry to hear about your continuing issues and visit to docs Lindsey, i agree with Bazza, thats not fair what they said to you as its obvious that the tablets are not working fully for you. Fingers crossed another doctor will be more understanding its amazing the difference you will feel when a doctor is on your side. Let us know how you get on.

How are you doing Bazza hopefully still progressing well?

I'm nearly on 4 weeks on my tabs and am on the lowest dose which is supposed to be a starting dose, my doc has said to give it till 4 weeks then if i don't feel like they are quite there to double the dosage which i think i will. I am feeling much better in myself and had hardly any side effects, but still getting anxious and panicky in public places so think i need a bit more so fingers crossed.

Keep in touch x

• Posted

Hi, finally plucked the courage up to make another appointment but they can't get me in till the 5th of march, so got to wait another couple of weeks!! bloody hell!!!!

Nice to hear from you again paul, and its so good to hear that you're starting to feel better!

And thanks bazza for your words of encouragement, i wouldn't have asked to see another doctor otherwise!!

Please both keep in touch, it really helps me!! ❤

• Posted

Good to hear from you Lindsey.

That sucks that you cant get an appoint for so long, how much supply do you have of your tabs, why don't you just start taking 2 tabs and then at least by the time you see the doc you will hopefully know if they are working or not.

I agree really helps to chat on here x

• Posted

I haven't enough to do that, plus i wouldn't dare do that incase they don't up my dose when i go and see them,

i'm getting proper fed up though now, just trying to stay positive but its hard!

Speak soon xx

• Edited

Hi guys, hows everyone doing? xx

• Posted

hi all not good news then have u got an emergency appoints at your surgury lindsey is it worth trying to get in on that could u take your partner with u for a bit of support he could explain how uve been these last few months.my husband comes with me and puts his point across to them cause they are with u everyday is it worth a try.morning still seems to be bad for us all i am finding it hard to get out of bed again.we will all be in the loony bin the way we are going.xx

• Posted

I think the loony bin would do me good for a few weeks!!! My husband did come with me to start with but he works and we can't afford for him to have the time off, and i can wait another week, i've waited this long, i think deep down i'm still hoping for something to kick in and for them to start working!

Hope you're ok bazza, how are you feeling in yourself? xxx

• Posted

hi lindsey not much to report still feeling crap im so agitated this morning i dont know what to do tried to stay in bed cos that usually works but not today so got up and put the washing out our gardens quite private so no one can se e me still in my pjs.forcing a sandwich down and a drink i dont really want to lose much more weight but making yourself eat when u dont want any thing isnt good.how are u today i cant be making u feel good if im having a moan cant believe from last wk i am so down hope things look up for u very soon speak soon.xx

• Posted

don't be daft, moan all you like, its good getting it off your chest!!

I know what you mean about staying in bed, i keep doing it too.

Maybe its just a bit of a blip for you, and hopefully things will get better, if not do as you told me and go back to the doctors!!

I'm still about the same, and very up and down, wish things would just even out a bit so i could just have a couple of decent days. Just over a week till my next appointment which is not helping my anxiety but know i've got to go.

We're a right pair aren't we!! Hope you start feeling better soon, and please keep in touch xxx

• Posted

hi all how are u getting on ok i hope.where are u paul are u fed up with us moaning and keeping out of it .well lets hope you have some good news for us when u log on we all need the encouragement.hope ure ok lindsey haven messaged anthony tonight see how hes doing.speak soon bazza xx

• Posted

hi guys no not fed up at all lol

Hope you're all doing better, Im doing ok thanks, not quite where i want to be, but the tabs are definitely helping. Still getting the odd bit of anxiety in public but not getting the horrible anxiety feeling at home. ill have been on them 6 weeks next week and if still not 100% will increase dose.

Got to go food shopping today which for some reason seems to be my major bugbear at the moment, keep getting really bad anxiety while in there, maybe I need some therapy for that.

Hopefully it wont be as bad today, but can already feel myself getting worked up about it!

Speak soon xx

• Posted

hih paul how did u get on shopping was it as bad as u thought it would be .so pleased ure doing ok on your new tabs u just need to sort the anxiety out for u to move on but thats easier said than done u dont need to think about it it just there.just told lindsey i went to the dentist for my implant to be fitted but was so anxious about going it stayed with me all day and ended up with bad headache as well to boot which painkillers didnt touch so was really crabby till i went to bed.gotup this morning not feeling to bad went out this afternoon and was ok i just wish it would settle down so i can get on with my life but its not happening.poor lindsey went to the dr and got the wrong date so she has to wait till next wk so keeping my fingers crossed things will improve for her.take care and keep in touch so we know ure ok.xbazza

• Posted

Hiya guys hows everyone doing? ive just finshed my first week on an extra dose and so far so good, feeling much better.

• Posted

hi paul so pleasedure feeling good was wondering why we hadnt heard from u.what dose are u on now plus u changedmeds didnt u u obviously feel these are doing the job .how long did it take to feel the difference.as u know ifelt really good for 2wks on 40mg prozac then dropped like a sack of potatoes again been on 60mg for11days now so hopefully i will soon see a difference.i read on another site if u have been on the meds before your brain remembers so they take longer to work have u heard of that.also im on my 13 th wkof the tabs altogetherand apparently it can take longer than that to kick in properly so i will just have to try and and stay positive but its flippin hard when ure not in that frame of mind.im so pleased for u that u have turned the corner it gives us all something to remember.have u heard from lindsey i havent since last wednesday when she had been to another gp and thy had increased her meds from 20mg to 30mg.please keep in touch and let us know how ure getting on.bazza.xx

• Posted

Hi guys im on 10mg of escitolopram now and been feeling really good nearly back to normal and anxiety seems to have nearly gone. If tabs are still not working after a lenghty time i would consider a change in tabs def worked for me xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.