8 weeks of MIRTAZAPINE withdrawal

Posted , 9 users are following.

This would have to be the most hardest thing i have been through in all my life.

8 weeks ago i started having severe long term side effects of taking 45mg of Mirtazapine, i had been having mild side effects from the mirtazapine over the past 16 months id been on it. I just put it down to anxiety, thinking a least the physical symptoms were easier to manage and didnt even think it was the tablet side effects. I went to my local gp who tampered me down from 45mg to 30mg for a week to 15mg for a week to 7.5mg for a week then nothing. During these weeks i have have been experiencing severe nausea, muscle aches, exhaustion, dizziness, burning sensation through my arms and back, restlessness, agitation body tremors and a pressure in my head and 1 full on panic attack, these withdrawal side effects have been coming in waves intermittently for the duration of the 8 weeks. I have now been off the drug for 9 days it is hell, everyday i wake up and pray for a better day, reassuring myself surely i will have a better day today. I must say the symptoms are lessening and not as severe, but its not easy, i have had to have a family members around me during this hard period for support. The medication i have been on to relieve these symptoms have been Oxazapam 7.5mg when necessary, Maxalon 10mg 3 times a day and Panadol 1000mg 6hrly, These tablets have taken the edge of the symptoms. I have been reading that once you cease Mirtazapine withdrawal symptoms will ease within 2 weeks. I am praying that this is the case as i feel im not ready to go back to work as yet. I would of never touched this toxic drug if id known the side effects to come off it, its created a monster, i was never this symptomatic with my anxiety 24/7 like i am now, i was hoping for a quick fix, when i started this medication, i was having sleeping trouble and anxiety but not as bad or as frequent as now. My gp never explained the withdrawal side effects to me !!

Just hoping if there is anyone out there that can give me some reassurance that this is not going to last for months post not taking the Mirtazapine anymore Thank You

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I think you were tapered off it way too quickly !!!. I was on only 15mg for seven months and am slowly tapering under guidance from my gp-reducing by about 1.2mg every week( using solutabs) I am now down to 3.6 mg and have had no withdrawal side effects whatsoever. I think the medical professionals are quick to start us on these drugs but do not warn of how rough coming off them can be for some people- especially when not tapering very very slowly . HANG IN THERE 😃 once it's out of your system in a few weeks I believe you will start to feel better.

• Posted

THANK YOU for your support really appreciate your kind words

• Posted

yes way way too fast

i was on 45 and am now on 6mg. it has taken 17 mths to get this far and i do have withdrawal symotoms.

we have a mirt withdrawal support group. look up Jo Merriam on fb and send a friend request

may i ask what were your physical symptoms on mirt as i have alot ?

• Posted

When i was on 45mg i would have days of lethargy, muscles aches,mild nausea, anxiety, but not to full panic attack, some times it would last a day, then sometimes last 3 days, i was diagnosed with ross river also, over this time, so i thought it could b that, it was on and off, for the 16 months, whilst on 45mg ,then 8 weeks ago i just went real green, full on nausea, extreme fatigue, muscle aches, dizziness constipation, restless, headache, had MRI brain, CT scan abdo, chest . Heaps of bloods all came back negative, so then worked out it was side effects, since tapering down doses i have anxiety, lethargy, dizziness, and real bad nausea feels never ending at present, same physical symptoms on mirt and off mirt, damed if i do damed if i dont , cruel , thank you for facebook recommendation

• Edited

Dear Lesley, Mirtazapine is hell to get off for so many, and slowly is the only way to proceed.. It took me four months by chipping bits off my pill and I was rushing it majorly. I just couldn't stand the effects while on it and had to get off, it seemed to create more anxiety than anything. As the months pass it lessens its hold on you. One step foward and two back sometimes but the overal direction is toward peace and tranquility. It just may not seem like it for a long while. After I was off it completely, it still took about 6 months before I noticed how good life now was and is. So its not a get well quick story but get well slowly. This drug seemed to have a grip like no other and GPs are none the wiser. Thats why the support groups are great. But now, about 13 months later I feel absolutley great, even better than before I was on it. This is really a miracle because while I was on it, I definitely wasnt thinking right and suicidal thoughts kept harrassing me all the time and making me think it was the only option. Think that its a hell of a hurdle to overcome but know that you can not only survive but thrive. Keep at it, Things are only going to better for you. Your hope is not in vain and you will come out the other side and think "I beat it". Its do able and you will prevail.

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your journey, so hard at times to stay positive, especially with withdrawal symptoms day in day out, thank you so much for your encouragement to fight through, i really needed it today. thanks again

• Posted

hi lesley, im in my 8th week off mirt and having a tough time, i seem to be ok in the morning now bit symptoms hit me late afternoon - do you have palpitations? i have this with the nausea, anxiety - its hard but reading posts of those who have successfully withdrawn gives me such hope x

• Posted

i was only on 30mg for 2 months and tapered over a month, im sensitive to meds though, for some people it takes months to get over...

• Posted

Hi Karen, only had palpitations once when i was alone at home with racing thoughts, had to seriously calm myself with laying down and deep breathing, i have been taking oxazepam 7.5mg when i feel anxiety elevating to this level, which has been taking the edge off. im hoping once this long winded withdrawal eases that the anxiety will not become a pattern i have got myself into to, feel terrible every time i have to take this medication , im praying that i do not become reliant on this, but at week 8 of withdrawal it has been vital for me to function x

• Edited

lesley i can totally identify I WAS ON MIRTAZAPINE FOR 4 years 7 half mg tapered of this year to 5 mg then 3 cut pill myself dr told me i shoukd not b doing this but i was having symptoms being on that dose experiencing burning on arms back etc dose so i just stopped cold turkey !! awful beyond!!! no sleep nausea anxiety burning but i Persevered !!! and now its 6 weeks and i am nirtazapine freee and take 1 mg nelatonin to sleep! i wake up sometimes at 2 but self sooth my body with positive affirmations and go back to sleep! hang in there girl u got this ! also walking every day no napping during day ! good luck

• Posted

day 17 today mertazapine free, the last 4 days have been hidious, symptoms, really bad, cant believe how cruel this is, i have been walking with my sister since your encouraging post, the lethargy, nausea, dizziness and anxiety, r still coming in waves, but one foot in front of the other, praying this has to get better already had 8 weeks of work, docs just given me another month, lucky to have so much leave being in same job 20 years, i really need some normality back and energy, doing my head in , really trying to b positive

• Posted

well done lesley ! with each little step of accomplishment congratulate yourself hug yourself and seriously look in the mirror frequently and say i love u ❤ quote by louise hayes! also i found eating healthy healthy and drinking g a ton of water helped u got this!!! another mantra a that helped me was This too shall pass!!! and guess what it did!!

• Posted

I have tried 3 times to come off the awful drug. I would become so nauseated and could not sleep. I hate this crap. I honestly don't feel it helped my anxiety and depression at all. It did allow me to sleep and eat. I have gained 30 pounds in 3 years and feel terrible. I wish I had never agreed to take this stuff.

• Posted

I feel your pain, ive been off Mirtazapine , now for nearly 4 weeks. The symptoms i had whilst taking it, were just as bad as being off it. My anxiety did not ease after 2 weeks completely off it, i went to my Gp as i was not coping at all, nausea, dizziness, fatigue, constant worrying. He has now referred me to a psychiatrist and commenced me on Quetiapine 25mg twice a day. I have been taking this new drug for 1 week, i have oxazapam 7.5mg which im taking if necessary for anxiety symptoms, i also take maxalon 10mg for nausea. I am still experiencing anxiety but have noticed i have slowed down, not worrying as much, symptoms not as severe. My doctor said the Mirtazapine withdrawal symptoms would be over now and that i have full on anxiety. I can tell you now my anxiety was never this bad before i started taking Mirtazapine, i still cant work its been over 2 months i am working on small goals, the anxiety is a killer, hopefully this chemical imbalance settles once this new drug kicks in. I am trying so hard to be positive and not worry which is creating this roller coaster , its a long cruel road, im looking forward to seeing the psych and im reaching out to everyone to help me get through and over this. Please try and stay strong and make sure you have a gd support team. Life has to get better and easier x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.