8 weeks on citalopram

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi everyone.. I'm 8 weeks on citalopram .. done 4 wks on 10 and moved 4 weeks to 20 . I started to feel a little better but past few days I feel edge and frustrated even..just dont feel great. is this normal after 8 weeks.. guess I'm scared this will never completely go away.. need some encouragement..thanks

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Laura

I think you were getting start up effects when you were on 10 and because you doubled your dose after 4 weeks, you are getting start up effects all over again When you start taking them, or a new dose, your anxiety heightens at first. Eight weeks , or I should say four weeks because you started the process over again, is early days yet, they can take a few months before you settle. Why did you double your dose after only four weeks, if you don't mind me asking?.

• Posted

with doctors orders I upped the dose.. when I started the 20mg it did t affect me at all.. last week I had my divorce and all and now dosed with the cold. thinking is this a blip.. havent felt this anxiety in weeks.

• Posted

hi laura im exactly the same as you - 9 weeks on cit second time, 7 weeks on 20. i was feeling better last week but having major blip this week - depression, anxiety, tearfulness. sleep issues. Really worried too but others on here saying just a blip.

• Posted

I hope so.. horrible when you feel better and then feel that horrible anxiety at the out of the stomach..i hope it gets better for us soon

• Posted

Just increased 2 weeks ago from 15 to 30. Panic and depression because of panic is horrid. 2nd time on celexa with 10 mg buspar 2 times a day too. Just want to be me again.

• Posted

Hi. this is very normal. whenever there is a change in dose you have a few days of feeling well and then the symptoms get worse again until your body gets used to it and it levels out. I didnt find going for 10 to 20 too bad but 20 to 40 was awful. it will get better but you have to hang on in there

• Posted

I upped the dose over 4 wks ago to 20mg. had no side effects back then..just feel outta sorts and anxiety in stomach again and unsettled.. had a divorce court case last week and not sure if that has set me off again along with a bad cold..

• Posted

this is totally normal. the medicine will work for a bit then you feel a slump but only for a couple of weeks. it's just while you get used to it. it can heighten the feelings you have temporarily. I would speak to your dr if after 2 to 3 weeks you feel no better. also some stress in every day life can unsettle you. its hard but jutvtry to rationalise that's it's a temporary thing and you will improve x

• Posted

With all that going on I'm not surprised your anxiety has spiked and understand your reason for increasing. It takes time to settle on a new dose unfortunately, some more than others. Maybe your cold is causing your stomach upset, hopefully that will pass soon.

Best wishes

• Posted

stupidly I thought cos I had no side effects of goin up to 20mg I'd be ok and never look bk.. hopefully it will settle again..thank u

• Posted

Sonia that's what I think the cold and the court case has unsettled me again.. hopefully it will pass soon..thank u

• Posted

Having a cold will definitely make things worse.

Same thing would happen to me when I was on these. Whenever I’m just about to get a cold, my anxiety would get high and stay high for a few days till it passed. I don’t know if it’s something that a cold does that makes these pills a little less effective but it always happened to me as well.

So try and not worry too much about it! If you were starting to feel better, it’ll go away once you get over this cold 😃 4 weeks is still early too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.