8 weeks on fluoxetine... and I'm not OK yet!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I started with fluoxetine more than 20 years ago (20 mg, increasing to 40 mg for some time, then back to 20 mg). I can't remember details about how long it took for me to feel the full effect of it, side effects etc., but I remember that it was a slow process, but that the med changed my life for the better...

Then, 2 months ago, I've had a panic episode, and the doctor prescribed an increased dosage (40 mg). Since then, I've had experienced anxiety and lack of appetite (fear of eating, to be honest, because I have a history with depression-related anorexia). I've had ups and downs. My 5th week was perfect - I was feeling 100%! Then, back to anxiety (sometimes I feel 70% well, sometimes 90% well, this week I'm like 20%...). It's 8 weeks already!!!!

I know from experience that fluoxetine works for me (or at least it used to), but... I'm almost loosing hope! Is this really normal? I've read lots of testimonies saying that it is, and I try to keep my mind on them, but... It feels so desperating!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I came here reading all the people that it took 12+ weeks to feel better. I also started to feel much better at 5 weeks and then 3 days ago started getting lots of anxiety. Today marks 6 weeks on 20 mg and this morning I've had so much anxiety. I'm having trouble eating. I've been trying a bunch of coping skills like journaling, reading through dialectical behavioral therapy, doing the exercises, and deep breathing. That deep pit in my stomach is still there but the exercises at least help me stay out of spiraling negative thought loops.

• Posted

I am up to week 7 of fluoxetine and still experience anxiety. I have found my panic attacks are less frequent but i still feel anxious throughout most the day. Like you sometimes i feel 90% good than other days 20% good. I personally think i may need to increase my dose as i am only taking 20mg. I do know it is working though as i have made huge improvements but unfortunately still have that deep anxiety.

• Edited

Hi hetty0308

I am on week 13 of Fluoxetine and 2 weeks ago i thought i have turned the corner and my anxiety and depression gone. I have had an amazing few days, not free of anxiety but very minimal, good appetite and good sleep..But for the last 5 days i am feeling again anxious and depressed, almost through the day and it gets better in the evening. It is very hard and make my anxiety even worse, thinking that i won't recover.. That's how anxiety makes you think in those bad moments.. But i read the posts about other people experiences and it looks like its normal with this medication.. I am on 20mg and want to keep going without increasing, i wish all of us quick recovery, and i BELIEVE it will happen 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.