8 weeks post gallbladder removal and feeling worse

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all.  I had my gallbladder out on April 17.  I had diarrhea once or twice but was pleased that stools were pretty normal.  My biggest issue was pain.  I have alot of sharp pinching pains.  Surgeon at 4 weeks said it was normal.  I have been careful with my diet and seemed to be doing ok even with the pain.  I actually had a few pain free days and thought I had turned the corner.   It didn’t last.  At 8 weeks my pain changed to an area higher in stomach in center below ribs.  Excruciating!  Also starting feeling sort of crampy in lower abdominal area.  Ended up in ER and they did a CT.  All normal. Pain is less but the other pains I have had all along still there.  I have had 2 really bad bouts of diarrhea in a week.  One was last night and I also felt nauseated.   So basically I am getting worse instead of better.  I am not eating anything bad and am now actually having to be even stricter with diet.  Constant pain and now diarrhea and nausea are the main things going on. My surgeon has basically said he’s done and to see a GI.   My question is why am I suddenly worse and worse when things seemed to be healing at 4 weeks?  I started taking probiotics on week 2 and added digestive enzymes on week 3.  They seemed to help but then I wasn’t sure.  Have gotten off and on some and couldn’t really tell.  ER doc told me to stop the enzymes and keep probiotics which I did.  Digestion was terrible yesterday which led to tons of diarrhea during the night. Anyone had a similar experience?   I am so discouraged.  

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi him so sorry to hear you are going thru this. What symptoms did you have before you had your gallbladder out. I am scheduled for my surgery on Monday. So I’m very curious to see what you find out. Please keep up updated. What kind of diet are you doing? All fresh fruits and veggies and lean meats? No high fat foods? 
  • Posted

What you have is normal in quite a few cases. I am one of them. There are many on this site. Its so aggravating when the surgeon did not tell me about this and now wants nothing more to do with it, it aGIissue! Alli can say is you are doing all you can. And ive found given time things sete down, but its not quick fix and my diet has had to be altered substantially, cant go out to dinner anymor.e
    • Posted

Thanks for your kind words.  About how long did it take for your psin/diarrhea to subside?   Did u also feel u got worse befire better?
    • Posted

It was after first yearbimnoticed difference but i was late in chsnging diet do,imthinkmwould,have been better ifmid done that sooner.  Try and experiment to see whats best formyou. Soft smoothnfood, light mini meals and my dark chocolate are my saviours.  Hope,it stays this way.   Must say i sometimes get a day of nausea still but deal with the pills dr gave me

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.