8 weeks post op.

Posted , 4 users are following.

My knee is still swelling and feels really tight.I'm back at work but tire really fast.I have a limp it get worse as the days go by.Is this normal? Not getting to do as much exercise since I returned to work I'm to tired when I get home and leg hurting.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Did the doctor approve you to return to work.  I was allowed to go back to work but I waited an additional 2 months after the first two months. Simply because it was very painful.

• Posted

The doctor did release me and said I should be fine.I believe a couple more weeks off would make it better.I will just have to make the best if it, rest and ice when I can.
    • Posted

That sounds good. Remember, we have to be patient. Everyone heals at a different rate.. Guve yourself time too heal. If you have to work,  Get  one of those stools to rest your foot on and elevate. You can usually get one from HR with a doctors note saying you need it. Every little thing you do for yourself pays off. Good luck. Continue to take your pain meds. They gave an anti-inflammatory in them.

• Posted

Hi Janice

I wanted to write you to let you know I’ve been in the same boat! I had my keft knee totally replaced March 26th. Went back to work June 18th. I have been taking vitamins, b12, one a day and a prenatal along with aleve. It took a week to kick in but seems to help me. I also got a b12 prescription from my doctor after getting s blood check up. I also swell and the knee is painful after a day at work. I usually work 10 - 12 hours a day. I have a job where I’m accomidated with a chair but don’t have the time to sit. I really think the vitamins have helped me get past the tiredness for the most part but still come home from work as you described. I have enough energy to jump in the shower and relax before going to bed sinc I get up pretty early to get my day started for work. I hope this has helped you in knowing your not alone. Good luck to you and keep looking at the future when things will be better. I know it’s hard right now but that’s what some people say, it will all be worth it. I wish that time was today! Happy thoughts 😊

• Posted

Thanks for the encouragement, and to know that I'm not alone on this journey to recovery.

• Posted

Eight weeks is EXTREMELY early to go back to work.  All of your complaints are very typical of people who have gone back to work before their knee has healed and they have also not completed all the necessary ROM and muscle rebuild work required.  We see this in patients who attempt a return to work in less than 12 weeks; typical return times are in the 4-6 month range, AFTER doing the necessary rehab work.  These patients show few or any symptoms.

Tightness (a "band-like" feeling, etc.) is typical and can last to 18 months.  Once you do the muscle rebuild work and loosen up the knee, the feeling goes away faster.  Multi-year TKR veterans will tell you that when you stop keeping the knee active, stiffness and tightness will return.  This is a lifelong rehab.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.