8 weeks post op and doing well

Posted , 8 users are following.

Really starting to feel good about this op.  8 weeks post op today and I can now walk a mile without too much pain; it's not like the "old days" at all!  Just the last couple days I began riding my bicycle (after warming up on stationary bike first.)   Talk about feeling positive.  Went and dropped off a book at the library and picked up a few groceries without asking anyone for help or messing with a bus.  Great.  I can walk my sister's 100lb skittish dog. 100lb puppy.  Still trouble sleeping but I wasn't that great at that before the op.  I have 125+ bend but probably still about 3-5 degrees from straight.  I think the bicylcle will help there.  I expect I will still have some bumps but this beats the heck out of the knee prior to the op.  Smiling about little things.   You all hang in there and stay positive.  I wish you the best.

7 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

Fantastic. Gives us all a glimmer of the light at the end of the tunnel. Well done. 
    • Posted

Thanks Loise.  I know I'm not there yet (just woke up and have iced the knee to go with my coffee)  but I can now look at today and realize I can go out and do things.  The staying inside (especially in this weather) and the sleep deprivation and pain really just take a toll.  I look in ther mirror and look older (not wiser), but I think that too will change as I get out and exercise.  Best of luck to you!!
  • Posted

Way to go sky!!! Sounds like you are doing great and have a really positive outlook - that makes a world of difference. I can't believe you are walking a 100lb skittish dog, that's brave. I know I still have some old patterns in my way of thinking that I need to get rid of. I was always afraid of the dogs pulling me so hard I'd fall. I'm sure I could recovery much more quickly now. Thanks for the encouraging update.
    • Posted

Thank you Moandrieu!  I have been fortunate and have had a pretty by-the-book recovery so far.  I think what I didn't realize  was how long rehab is for this operation. I know I have a ways to go but it seems pretty daunting at first.  

One physical therapy tip for whoever will keep an open mind and try it is:  Yoga.   Go to YouTube and pick the yoga from a chair and the beginners version and go at your pace or slower.  Just do about 15 minutes and nothing on your leg until you think you are ready. Just try it.  An amazing difference for me.  I always thought yoga was some mystical thing and perhaps it is at a higher level.  For me, doing the simple breathing exercises and motions are really helping.

Walking the dog isn't brave at all.  He listens but you do have to be able to bear your weight on the affected knee.  I put walking the dog until just last week, when my leg felt like it could handle it.  Thank you for the kind words and best of luck in your recovery!  Stay positive!

• Posted

Great news. I had a knee replacement nearly 3 years ago and it's like having my life back.

When I had my op I chose to have an epidural and remain awake. So much easier.

You sound to be doing quicker than I was. I was going to physiotherapy 3 times a week and took ages to get to 90 degree bend.

But it really is worth working at.

I too had trouble sleeping afterwards but I have always been a really good sleeper so this was a total shock to me and something I had really not prepared for. Even now nearly 3 years later I still don't think i sleep quite as well as i used to. It has changed the whole pattern somehow but a small price to pay for the knee improvement.

Let me know how you are doing.

• Posted

Today I've had to ice a little more because the last 2 days I was pretty active.  I think today I will just  walk the wild dog and take it easy. Do my stretches of course...  I hope in 3 years I don't think too much about it. Nice of you to come back and offer encouragement. Thanks and glad to hear from someone that has been out for awhile and doing well.  We don't hear enough of that on this thread.  Sleep is still and issue and I took a nap already today... it is 2pm ha ha
  • Posted

wow! I am in total awe I had to re read your post I was so sure it must have said 8 MONTH post op. You have certainly given me something to aspire to after my op next week
    • Posted

Dotty, for what it's worth I am 57 and kinda had to plead to get this done (it wasn't getting better!).  Both the surgeon and the physical therapist said that because of my age and the fact I was in "reasonable" shape and my parents are doing well in their 80's that I was healing a bit faster.  So keep those things in mind.  I just happened to luck out on this one.  The thing that got me into see this surgeon was a bicycle crash resulting in 7 broken ribs and a collarbone along with a small lung puncture last July.  It is funny how things work out. They kept X-raying to watch the collarbone because it wasn't knitting and I kept pestering about the knee.  I got them to X-ray it and finally he said he would do it.  When his team went in, he said it was a mess from arthritis and prior injuries (I had broken the femur off near the knee once and had surgery).  He said my the calcification around the joint was like chipping thru marble. Anyway,  I have done nothing that you haven't been doing and these posts have been very helpful.  I just went at my pace and trust me, did nothing causing a lot of pain or anything like that.  It was painful enough on its own.   Hope your recovery goes smoothly...
  • Posted

thank goodness for another posistive post..the light at the end of my tunnel WAS an oncoming train but its not now....and I'm not even having knee op (yet!!) THANK YOU so much!
    • Posted

ps I'm still walking my six dogs (greyhound, lurcher, 3 Staffs and some sort of terrier!!) daily and rely SO heavily on a friend for company and for her willing hands...mostly to hold leads but also to haul me to my feet when I fall over!!!! It's great fun and WILL be even better when all this pain is sorted out...I AM NOW HOPEFUL that this can happen!!
    • Posted

Having dogs around (and I have a cat that thinks he is a puma) is VERY therapeutic to me.  They aren't too demanding and seem to know when you are in pain and will curl up and watch a movie while I whine...

THAT is a lot of dogs!   I had to Google a lurcher to see what it was. They say they are smart and fast.  Cool. Good looking dog.

• Posted

mmmmmm, all rescued and yes, I AM totally mad but they have been here longer than the health issues have!!! MY lurcher is a RSPCA crfuelty case, now 17 years olkd, and has never been smart or fast....but yes, generally they ARE...both....very!!!! And to be honest they really ARE my reason to get up out of bed and go out, no matter how painful it is to do so; the fresh air is good for me too, even though I am then crippled and spend the rest of the day vowing never take them walking again!!!!
    • Posted

Ah, I had a ferrel kitten adopt me just before I went in for surgery. She was a lifesaver to me. Sitting on my lap and loving on me when I was in so much pain and didn't want to hear anyone tell me I needed to get up and walk or whatever. She's still with me 5 months later and just had her own kittens (they will all be getting fixed as to not have any more). But they continue being a joy as I just went through an umbilical hernia operation.
    • Posted

Hah!  That is great.  My cat is 14 and has helped me thru some very tough times. He sleeps more but everyday surprises me by whipping around the house or coming up to knock things off the desk and lay down on the keyboard etc.  Yesterday I was practicing some flycasting as I hope to fish a little this season.  He will actually chase the fly-line and grab it.  Cat on!   ha ha... 
    • Posted

keep up with??????.....you MUST be joking ??????  (at least I hopwe you are....PLEEEESAE tell me you don't think I OUGHT to!!!!!!!

Actually I am SO lucky as we have a wood fairly close by and I can let some of them off there knowing they will be safe and can run as far and as fast as they want.........(.the old greyhound STILL thinks he's a racer, bless him!!)..........while I sit gracefully on a tree stump and wait for them to come back!!!!!! Its all good fun and makes me go OUT every day..........but NOT in the big and violent hailstorm we had today, phew, we JUST got home in time!!!!! 

• Posted

Ha!  an old girlfriend adopted old racing greyhounds and those dogs could fly!  They were beautiful to watch and very personable dogs once they got away from the track.  I have a big park nearby where I will take the big Bernise Mountain Dog I have been talking about.  Maybe not today as I was on both stationary and street bike and may.... TAKE A NAP haha!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.