8 weeks post op and finding it hard going

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had a total hysterectomy 8 weeks ago by abdominal incision and am finding recovery hard going. My stomach is really tender internally and feels like it pulls when I walk. I've had lower back problems since the op that causes sciatic type pain when I stand up after sitting and when I get out of bed. My bowels are all over the shop and fluctuates between constipation and diahorrea. I am also experiencing awful joint pains that can be debilitating. I'm managing to go for short walks every day mostly through gritted teeth, to make sure I don't seize up. I wasn't warned just how rubbish I would feel and what's 'normal' for recovery. 6 weeks for total recovery is not a realistic time frame. My GP has suggested 6 months. Do any of you ladies identify with me? I guess I just need reassurance that it's OK to feel how I do and that these after effects are common. Thanks in advance 😊

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

hi julie i had mine coming up to 4 months now it is normal ,i still have tenderness on my tummy and still struggle with long walks,im working parttime again but find it hard being on my feet and still feel low at times wanting to get back to myself again. im getting better but its ridiculous they say 6 -8 weeks everbodys different in healing there body, if i over do it its worse and still get back pain but its normal so try not to worry like i did. hope this helps.😊

• Posted

Thanks Kelly. I appreciate your reply. I'm glad I'm not on my own and that what I'm experiencing is normal. I have been worried but messages like yours help. I wish you well with your continued recovery. 😊

• Posted

hi hun

although I was the lucky one to not suffer after my tvh, a lot of what yiu feel is absolutely normal.

yiur body has been through doo much cutting,pulling,stitching etc that I'm definitely going to say at least 6 mths to feel like your self again.

are you post menopause yet as a lot if pain can be due to lack if hormones,however pain in back can be yiur body saying wow hold on and rest! listen to your body and dont overdue any of the healing tissues as we can prolapse due to weakness at the vaginal vault.x

• Posted

HI agree totally i had total hysterectomy due yo s large fibroid, its now 8 weeks and am really struggling but no one understands . When i am walking my abdo musvles pulling and hurting around the waist .

My consultant was not st all sympathetic this has made me feel very low . SHE did not even explain whats going on. There is so much changes to your body snd have to tsje it easy .

• Posted

hi hun

although I was the lucky one to not suffer after my tvh, a lot of what yiu feel is absolutely normal.

yiur body has been through doo much cutting,pulling,stitching etc that I'm definitely going to say at least 6 mths to feel like your self again.

are you post menopause yet as a lot if pain can be due to lack if hormones,however pain in back can be yiur body saying wow hold on and rest! listen to your body and dont overdue any of the healing tissues as we can prolapse due to weakness at the vaginal vault.x

• Posted

Hi Welshgirl. Thanks for your reply. I was almost through the menopause when I had the op. I've been given HRT gel to try. Hoping it helps with the joint pain. Slow and steady is the way to go I guess in terms of my recovery 😊

• Posted

Hi Juliet yes it is normal to feel like this straight after op- at least 6 months to feel even vaguely normal. Its very hard but you have to be very patient with your body. Lots of layers internally to repair and heal. I didnt have so much back pain but more lower abdominal felt like something been left in my pelvic area !! Re joints not sure if this is to do with the fact you are now in total menapause. Have you been recommended HRT that may help? Hang in there. Im 18 months post total hyster and altho im better I really do not feel 100% fit but ive just learnt to adapt accordingly. Hang n there and altho keep mobile listen to your body and dont over do it xx

• Posted

Hi Lynda. Thanks for your reply. I was almost through the menopause before I had the op. I have been given HRT gel to try. I'm only a week in using that. I'm hoping it helps with the joint pain. I am learning to be more realistic about my recovery and need to take the pressure off myself. One day at a time. 😊

• Posted

Hi Julie. I certainly identify with you! I am nearly 3 months post surgery (TAH) and I am still finding it very uncomfortable. From what I read the recovery can take up to a year so I am trying to be kind to myself. What I am finding is that your diet is going to contribute to the way you feel more than it ever did before. Do some research on FODMAP - the way foods are digested or not digested as they pass through your intestines. Avoid foods that are hard to digest as they will cause bloat and constipation which exacerabate your already swollen belly. I just finished chemo which causes constipation and that's when I realised that the constipation made everything feel worse. I have always looked after my fitness and in the beginning walking is the only exercise you can do for at least 6-8 weeks. I am slowly getting back to where I was, but after the trauma of surgery, whatever minimal flexibility I ever had is diminished. I try to do at least a little yoga every day. I vary my exercise with stationary cycling, walking and Barlates Body Blitz on YouTube (an awesome girl in Perth). I don't like my pregnant belly but the swelling is going to take its own sweet time to go down and when it does my core muscles will be there if I have anything to say about it! Keep positive.

• Posted

Thanks for your very detailed reply. I will certainly take a look at what I eat to see if that helps with my gastric issues. I'm learning from people's responses that patience is important. I also think that I must look more at what I can do now rather than hanker for what I was preop. Our bodies have been through a lot and we must remember that. It can be hard to stay positive when you're having a bad day so being in the moment helps. Self compassion is a must.

All the best for your recovery 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.