8 weeks post thumb cmc arthroplasty - pain lingering

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all

I am cmc arthroplasty on May 21, 2018 on my right hand. My trapezium was removed and I got the tendon wrapped in its place similar to the "anchovy" you've read about. So I'm about 8 weeks into recovery. The only real problem I had was pulling a tendon in my wrist/forearm a week or so ago (man, that was painful!). That's getting better now but I've started to get pain in my fingers and thumb when I try to use them. Little things that I could do two weeks ago with no pain, like buttoning clothing, or opening a prescription bottle are pretty difficult.  

From what I've read over the past few days on this forum, this doesn't seem unheard of but I admit it worries me/freaks me out a little. My surgeon was great, but they never seem to tell you of aches and pains and weirdness that you might expect over recovery. 

Like many others, I was told by my surgeon that 12 weeks was the "good to go" point, but I think in "surgeon talk" he meant that's when the tendons heal with the bone, but forgot to mention thing like pain in other areas. 

These days my hand and fingers hurt throughout the day, like achy and hard to move around. Very stiff. I never had that before my surgery, so I'm hoping it's just part of the healing process. 

I'm curious to hear from people who's have similar issues and how long they took/are taking to feel better. 

Thanks, all. Nice to "meet" you. 

s

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I had the same thing done june 18th. Not as bad or painful as I had expected or been told. Just mre of a nuisance. Still lots of tenderness, pain sometimes, really tender in forearm where they pulled the tendon. Can't wait to get out of the itchy, sweaty brace. Will you have any hand theraphy? my surgeon says "no" & I'm surprised. Does yor left need done? Left hand hurts the worse especially since I have to do more w/ my left. Don't see how I could possibly wait a year to get the left done. Nice to not have so much pain but the OA in the other fingers seems worse.

• Posted

Hi thisolegirl,

My pain wasn't bad right after the surgery, and it was getting better over the last few weeks. After I pulled my tendon is when the problems seemed to start. 

My surgeon told me I wouldn't need physical therapy. Right after the cast was taken off, my thumb range was really good. I could do the exercises with no pain. But my finger joins on the same hand are super stiff, so I'm wondering if I'll need hand therapy now. I've been using a heat pack to loosen them up and that seems to help. But my thumb swelling hasn't subsided, nor has the knot swelling over the incision site. 

Did you have OA in the fingers before the surgery? I can't get why my fingers would be hurting so much, except maybe it's related to the tendon that was stretched out during surgery. 

s

• Posted

Hi, just found your post. Hope all if going well on your continued recovery. Had cmc suture suspension surgery with DeQuervain release on October 10, almost 8 weeks ago, on my dominant right hand. Sure was expecting something a little different on the healing process. Definitely did not expect major discomfort in my fingers from middle joint to base joint near the hand upon use with lots of stiffness. Therapist says that is all part of t he healing process. Still struggling with light to mid swelling in wrist and fingers. Doing PT twice a week and two times a day at home, resistance and passive range of motion, and strengtening now with the yellow putty. You're correct that surgeons are not very talkative about what to really expect in terms of discomfort and the length of time it will take for the discomfort to go away. I'm just wondering if you remember 8 to 12 weeks post surgery and if you really saw a major difference during that 4 week time period in regards to stiffness and discomfort in the fingers. I am also now having trouble with the ulnar tendon along the pinkie side of wrist, which I think is stemming from my shoulder due to non use of my right hand and the four weeks i kept my elbow bent trying to keep my hand in front of my chest so as not to smack it on something. Surgeon said I would definitely be able to play golf in January and I'm beginning to wonder if he meant putt-putt! LOL

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.