8 weeks post TKR- strange occurance- please help...

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello! I am 8 weeks post right TKR-- I am 6 months post left TKR and 3 years post left hip replacement and am just 42 years old. The major US hospital I have used has NEVER had me in PT with any of my surgeries- they have given me a sheet of things to do at home and I have done them. Without seeing the scar I can amazingly say I would never know my hip was replaced. My left knee can fully bend and straighten-- but on occasion yet It does let me know if it doesn't like a movement I make- but the discomfort goes away right away. My right knee now though is SO different. My bend is very good and I can fully straighten it- the slight discover in that part is the same as my other knee. I have a fair amount of what I call "charlie horse" type pain in my knee and leg as I had with the other one.. but this time it is going on alot longer. What concerns me and I have spoken with my surgery team about it and they are puzzled as to why I am experiencing this. As before my TKR I would get a very tight- painful feeling in my knee-- I would barely be able to put pressure (step on the leg) on it and it felt like it was going to give out on me. With that-- the handful of days I have had this occurance- I get redness and slight purplish bruising that shows up across the bottom half of my knee into my front lower leg (about a sauce plate size) this feeling goes on for several hours-- then slowly will subside. The bruising takes a couple of days to fully go away. The surgical team says nothing in my x-rays show why this should be happening- they are baffeled by it-- and are just chalking it up as part of this knees healing process. I go back to work in 1 week- I am on my feet all day.. This knee was in very bad shape when they replaced it- I know I am probably going back too soon- but I need my job and with 2 knee replacement within 1 year- the choice is no longer mine as to how long I can be gone. I am worried about what has been happening-- I don't sleep well at night-- the constant aching in my knee and leg keeps me up. I don't take stong pain killers anymore- but do take a muscle relaxer-- I do see swelling off and on in the knee- and it is always hot to the touch. I know every replacement is different- and don't expect the sucess I had so quickly in the first TKR. I don't know if the pain will ever fully go away in either knee- but it is much better than how I started out. I am just very worried about this strange occurance I have been experiencing several times in the past 5 weeks. Any thoughts would be very appreciated. Sorry for the "book" story here-- just haven't been able to "talk" with anyone going through TKR at all until I came upon your Discussion group- Thank-you for being here!!

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

You need physio or PT as you know it.

I think you nee to see your Doctor sooner don't wait until your appointment.

I get they purple bruisING under the skin but it goes. My PT said it was normal as long as it goes away. It's the superficial blood vessels bursting after exercise or movement due to inflammation.

See your Doctor.

Best wishes Jan

• Posted

Thank-you for your response- I am glad to hear that someone else is experiencing that bruising under the skin-- mine comes and goes with these episodes. It take 2 months to get an appointment in 2 see my surgeon-- I am due to see him in march. I did put in a call today though for them to contact me back and see what can be done in the mean time-- Thank-you 
  • Posted

Im not sure but the way you're describing you're pain there might be a potential blood clot. Get in touch with your Doctor ASAP.

Good luck.

• Posted

You definitely need to be seen ASAP. Make noise and let them know in no uncertain terms that you are to be seen urgently. Really, I am shocked at the surgeon's lack of involvement in your after care to this point it constitutes negligent care. Not only have I seen my surgeon x4 in the 7 weeks post op, he gave me his personal cell phone. I don't abuse this privilege but it had had immense value to me twice when I was in crisis and only had to shoot off a text.

• Posted

Thank-you all!! I did get a call back from Mayo clinic today.I was told they typically do not send patients to PT- but with this odd occurance I am experiencing they will send me a prescription to go locally. They still don't plan to see me until March- they don't think my symptoms are anything to really worry about- they believe it is just part of my healing-- They prefer I don't go back to work yet.. but since that isn't a option they want me to take frequent "off my feet" breaks-- will see if that happens. I am glad they are agreeing to let me try PT though-- I think at this point it can only benefit me. Thank-you all for your help with this smile

• Posted

Sure makes me want to rethink mayos techniques. I guess they feel like most people get the care and then head on back to their homes and are out of Mayos care. Whatever, doesn't seem right to me. I would talk to my own primary care doc to handle pain meds and additional therapy.

• Posted

Shanda soooo glad you got PT. It's a MUST in better & faster recovery.

• Posted

The stiffness can last well over a year but your other symptoms plus being on your feet all day suggest that you are pushing the knee way over its current ability to handle the stress.  Plus you have not even started strengthening your quads, glutes and core to support the new knee.  Eight weeks is very, very early in this recovery and going back to work before you are fully healed cannot be recommended for anyone.  People try to go back to work at 4 months with mixed success (depends on the job)...most people are in the 6-9 month range.  Eight weeks is just not doable with your stage of recovery.  Yeah, we've heard of people doing mountain climbing at 13 weeks...very rare.

Plain and simple: You have to heal...and that takes time.  It cannot be pushed, willed or ignored.  I'm at 11 months and doing great.  At eight months, I was doing 11,000+ steps (5 miles) a few days a week working on my feet...but it took all that time to get there.  For the first six months, I was a basket case...period.

Heal first...

• Posted

Unfortunately this being my 3rd joint replacement I have been through many different stages and changes of the healing process-- with plenty of frustrations along the way-- it does take time... ideally I would love to be able to take it more slowly and let my knee heal more.. but it is either put food on the table for my 4 children... or suffer a longer possibly more painful healing process..  there isn't a question in what I will do. Just trying to find the best way to manage the healing while I work.  Also I know being a large person is not helping my situation of pain either.. alot more stress on my joints than needs to be- causing me more additional pain also. I am a very active and Dr. signed off healthy person- but... I carry alot of excess weight-- stengthening my quad, glutes and core would be wonderful-- but I have a long way to go before I can even start thinking about that. I don't go back to work for another week- so I haven't been on my feet all day yet and am having these issues.. I went back to work after my first knee replacement with no trouble at 8 weeks- and my hip at 6 weeks... this knee is just doing things the Drs. don't seem to have an answer for. I have been going through and healing through joint replacements for the past 3 years... time heals and helps alot... but unfortunately when life doesn't afford one to be able to slow down and heal-- you have to try everything possible to at least make that healing road a little more tolerable. 

• Posted

hi shanda3 i would like for you to go and get  a sencond opinion on the bruising it is not normal if it happens after physio there must be some debrie left inside that causes the bruising wich is a sign of slight bleeding so  please follow up on this it does not sound right regards danie 61
    • Posted

Thank-you for your comment. I have never had PT after my surguries-- but soon will be getting a prescription to start it now at 8 weeks post op. I will definetly be talking to them about the bruising I am seeing happen-- I don't think it is normal either... I expect alot of different things to occur when healing-- but this doesn't seem right to me. I appreciate your input and am definitely going to be looking further into this! Shanda

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.