8 weeks recovery housework?

Posted , 8 users are following.

so I've made it to 8 weeks recovering really well fro pm rectocele.

want to ask about hoovering and ironing. I can't find any advice. I  was told to avoid it totally, which so far I have. Hubby and son are not as helpful now and  I can't bear my floors being so dusty and not as clean as normal. It's making me quite frustrated.

when can I start doing it myself again?and is there anything I should be aware of? I have no problems pooling about tidying and dusting and very gentle housework, as I'm feeling well.

4 more weeks off work now.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

How heavy is your hoover? That's the important question here.
    • Posted

It's a dyson DC15 Allergy? No idea how heavy until someone comes home tonight to put it on scales
    • Posted

Don't need the exact weight. Dyson are usually heavy so if it is one of the heavy ones it's too soon to think about hoovering but you can do a bit of dusting. Men are great when they are so supportive but they never do the housework the same as we do. 
  • Posted

Hi

I was given a leaflet with lots of info on it . If you'd like it please pm your e mail address to me x

• Posted

There's all the information you need at the top of the Genitourinary Prolapse page that was added by the Moderator but the important question here is the weight of the hoover 
  • Posted

It's 5.4kgs Beetlebugmik, I've just googled it so yes it's too heavy. Another 4 weeks and it should be ok.
    • Posted

Thank you so much Matron, oh well I'll just have to keep watching the tumble weeds roll around the house, will look forward to the day I can use it!

• Posted

I am 7 weeks post op so just behind you. I've had lots of gynae and prolapse surgery before so know the drill well. As long as you don't lift anything heavy you could try gently vacuuming with the pole and brush bit. I have a Dyson and a small cylinder and find the small one easier to use as no pressure on your lady bits. The Dyson was too heavy to push around as I found out last week! I have vacuumed twice and I've felt ok. You can only try it and then stop if it hurts. Hope this helps x
    • Posted

Sorry terri I can't agree. Obviously Beetlebugmik can decide for herself but to prevent further surgery I wouldn't recommend using a hoover. Just because it doesn't hurt doesn't mean you aren't doing some harm.
    • Posted

Thanks that's also helped me because I do tend to push myself a little too much to my detriment! I have also felt much better this last week and was thinking of getting the vacuum out but I think I will take your advice. I seem to be fine on a morning but as the day wears everything just hurts so maybe at 7 weeks still lots more recovery to do. I have also got another 4 weeks off work and am a bit anxious about going back as I am on my feet all day.
    • Posted

I hate disagreeing with anyone and I know sometimes I'm over cautious but I've seen too many failed repairs. You are only 7 weeks so be kind to yourself and remember a lot can happen in 4 weeks in terms of recovery x
    • Posted

I will definitely listen to the professional voice of reason. I do so want this to be the last surgery for a while as I've had several quite big ones since 2013 and my brain says 'don't worry you always bounce back' but this time I must admit my body is saying the opposite! im even planning for my retirement in 5 years so it's taken its toll because I love my job.

I had a rectocele repair with hysterectomy in 2003 and I've noticed since my recent surgery it has returned causing minor problems at the moment but I know things may get worse over time, should I sort this out now or later?

• Posted

I'm tempted to say get it sorted sooner rather than later then you will be recovered to enjoy your well earned retirement but it will depend on your job and how lenient they are with sick leave. Having said that your health must take priority.
  • Posted

This not lifting is a right pain! My poor husband is being worked into the ground, he doesn't get in from work until between 7 and 7.30 each night and then he is doing what is normally my house work!

I am slowly trying to take a bit more of the light stuff back. I reckon I can now manage hanging the washing, folding and putting away clothes and getting dinner ready although all of these now require more thought. I am having friends round for coffee and then getting them to get the washing out of the machine for me and even putting potatos in a pan ready to boil takes more steps than normal as I am pretty certain a pan full of potatos and water would break the rules!

Still I am determined to stick to the rules. If anything were to go wrong with the surgery (touching wood it won't) I am determined to make sure it wasn't something I did.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.