8 weeks - Sertraline and work

Posted , 5 users are following.

I’ve now been off work and on Sertraline for 8 weeks. I was really hoping to be back at work by now but i still have anxiety and depression. I was on 25mg for 1 week, 50mg for 2 weeks and 100mg for 4 weeks. 

I was on 100mg last time and it brought me 100% back to normal so I was expecting to be feeling better by now but I am just miserable. I’m also scared that I will end up losing my job. 

Did/does anyone else feel this rubbish at the 8 week mark? Also how long were people off work for?

Thanks x

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

First off I love that word rubbish lol, we don’t use that word here in America much at all. I’m going to start incorporating that into my vocabulary. Anyway at 8 weeks I was still on 50mg and I was starting to feel better at that point, but didn’t quite kill the morning anxiety I would get, so at about 10 weeks I moved up to 100mg and I’ve been on that now for a few weeks and all the anxiety seems to be gone. Still have the occasional rough day but they are becoming less and less. And as far as work goes I couldn’t afford to miss so I didn’t but I sure wish I could have taken a week or so off when I first started because the side effects were absolutely Rubbish!! See I used it. Lol good luck and God bless, things will get better just takes some time.
    • Posted

Haha I use it all the time. I thought I would be feeling a lot better by now but I’m not even sure I feel any better at all so maybe I need an increase. 
  • Posted

Hi Kate

Don't be afraid to go back to your GP and get a higher dose.  I was the same as you and increased to 150mg.  I felt much better after a week or two.  200mg is a safe maximum so you have a way to go yet.  I am also on propranolol which helps with the physical side effects of anxiety.

Go for it.

• Posted

Thank you for your message. How many weeks were you on when you increased to 150mg? My doctor did mention increasing as the tablets have worked for me I’m the past but said we can wait another 4 weeks to see if anything changes but I may go back and suggest to do it now if it helps. I just want some relief and to go back to work!
    • Posted

Sorry for not replying sooner.

I think it was 3 or 4 weeks before I increased to 150mg, I think that's long enough to wait when you're feeling rubbish!

• Posted

If you saw some positive changes then the med might still be good for you. So maybe its a good thing to ask for higher dose?

If you didnt see anything positive or even feel worse then ask your doctor for advise. They say it can take a while but if there is no signs of feeling a bit better, that might be that its not doing its job!

I also like the rubbish word...And I can totally relate to feeling rubbish also...lol

• Posted

Thanks Lolita. This is my second time on these meds so I know they do work for me. It looks like I need a higher dose and a bit more time. Thanks for your reply x
  • Posted

First thing, don't let things take control over you - and when i say this i really mean it. You cannot let a stupid stuff take control over your life, you have all the rights to live things your own way. the medicines will ofcourse help you come out of the things - you have to keep doing what you have to and ignore what you feel, trust me you'll get out of this in no time .. for me the meds started working after months.. and i'm not sure if they even worked - i came out of this stupid anxiety phase.. i gave up my job for 3 months!! and then realized its nothing but you giving up - which gives this vicious cycle more power... 

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply it was very motivational. I keep burying my head in the sand with work but I’ve decided I’m going to go in for a meeting. How did you find going back after 3 months? Were the tablets kicking in then for you?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.