8 weeks since posterior repair - pressure

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello - I had a posterior repair a little over 8 weeks ago and was given the all clear at my 6 week check up. However, this week my recovery seems to have been knocked back two steps. (Sorry TMI ahead!) I'm experiencing extreme pressure in my bowels. I'm not having any trouble passing a stool, but the urge to defecate never seems to pass after a bowel movement. It just gets stronger. It almost feels as though I have a tampon in my rectum. Is this normal? I plan to call my doctor on Monday, but until then I'm quietly panicking that my surgery has failed. Any info/experiences would really help!

Thanks!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello. If I remember rightly I experienced the same feelings up until my 10th week postoperatively. I found I was just doing too much and my body was telling me to rest. That did work. It's still early days and you won't have completely healed internally. 
  • Posted

Hi, I had a posterior repair on 27th May and have had good days and others not so good the same as you. Although your doc gives you the all clear, it can take a good 6 months for it all to heal. I find driving and overall busy days makes me feel more ache. I had a cough for 2 weeks which seems to have made it feel like it's all dropped again but keeping fingers crossed it just needs to get stronger again. Interested to know what your doc says. Get lots of rest and try pelvic floor exercises x
  • Posted

Hi, you only need to read old posts on here to find that many many of us have had similar feelings. The majority starting about 5-6 weeks after surgery. Probably when many of us have stopped using any laxative help, and we are doing it for ourselves. Also we have more than likely slipped back into old habits of eating and drinking differently to what we were advised, therefore making a different and possibly difficult end product!

but as with anything, if you have concerns do go,and see your gp.

• Posted

Hi ladies - thanks for the replies!

This is the second rectocele repair I've had in 18 months, so I really should remember all this from last time. My surgeon did warn me that recovery might take longer this time as there would be even more scar tissue etc.

I had a read through all of the other threads too and feel much more reassured.

Thanks for taking the time to calm me down! This is probably the only place in the world that a girl can mention her bowels and not blush! (",) X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.