8 weeks TKR with regrets Advice pls

Posted , 22 users are following.

I'm a 49yr old male of a large 20st stature and 8 weeks on Tuesday I had a TKR on my left knee.

If I knew that the past 7.5 weeks was going to be this painful & uncomfortable I would never have had this done. All I was ever given & advised was success stories, I wish I had researched it in more detail as I would rather have suffered the knee problems I had compared to the ones I have now.

Although my PT is happy with my progress regarding leg bend of 115 & extension of -1, I come away full of smiles BUT the smile is very short lived. I still cant get comfortable, still cant sleep at night, cant sleep on my side and the pain during the night is ridiculous (I've tried the pillow in-between my legs), I have totally had enough, I'm still taking Tramadol to try & ease but now it's having little effect.

I've been walking unaided for almost 4 weeks now (by advice of my PT) but the problem I have is the swelling, the swelling just does not go down, I elevate my leg at least every 2 - 3 hours for 30mins at a time and still wear my cyrocuff for the icing at the same time. I have a sharp pain in my knee at times even while I'm just sitting still, my surgeon says there is nothing to be concerned about, again he is happy.

I do 3 x 1hr of home exercise & stretching which was advised by my surgeon and PT everyday without fail & try to push myself further each time.

I seem to have a fold across the centre of the knee which fills with swelling & then overhangs the bottom half of my knee which then makes my leg feel very stiff and heavy. My knee for pretty much 90% of the time feels stiff especially when I clench my thigh muscle. The left hand side of my knee is completely numb and the right hand side is so sensitive to touch or have any material on it, which again don't help me whilst in bed keeping me awake.

Am I doing something wrong? Will the pain ever ease? Will I be able to sleep again properly? When will this swelling ever come down? How long before I stop regretting having this procedure done? I am constantly feeling down & depressed that all that's on my mind is this bloody knee & if it will ever be "Normal"

Sorry for the long winded story and the whining, I need to know if others have gone through the same, as I know 2 people who have had the procedure done one was fully recovered in 6 weeks and the other in 8 weeks, so that's why I'm feeling so cheesed off and full of regret. It's also easier to talk to others who have gone or going through the same than ask my surgeon or PT.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance.

2 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

So, thought today I was going to get acupuncture on my LTRP but doc had other ideas.  It is very inflamed and the swelling is to much, so back to ice, rest, new meds, and elevate.....I am doing to much, I feel like it am doing nothing!  I am not patient and I thought I would breeze thru this,  oh is my knee showing me who is in charge.  Everything else is but straight is -2 coz of the swelling on inside of knee and behind it. Rehab tomorrow and they have been massage, ultrasound and tens unit....so far has not helped a lot.  Waiting for the magic to take it all away!
    • Posted

This is not to make light of your pain and swelling I get it!!! I have been in constant misery it does not help when the nurse is concerned as well as the therapist both were concerned with the pain and swelling. The therapist had me in tears not pretty. Finally I rcvd a cll from the surgeon really a nice man 11 yrs older then me and he had his 2nd knee replaced 4 days after mine. He pretty much said I had unrealistic expectations after 18 surgeries 6 of which were revisions it is going to take time as in 6 months or more before I start feeling better. He said if this was my first time getting a total knee replacement within 3 months you would be feeling much better, it may take a year plus before I feel normal. I knew this was going to hurt do doubt in my mind every single revision I have had hurts this one however has redefined pain. Your knee may be swollen hurt like you know what and you keep think maybe tomorrow but every single day its the same thing you do everything the Dr. therapist etc says and no matter its the same garbage everyday. I get it boy do I get it. All I can say the call from the Dr. did not make my knee pain go away or the swelling all it did was remind me I have been thru a lot more then most maybe not as far as surgeries in different areas but as far as having as many as I have had all on the same knee its going to take time its going to hurt some days are going to hurt worse then others I am going to have swelling there is no miracle cure its just going to take time. IN order to help speed the recovery time I am supposed to exercise the knee but not to the point I am in agony the harder I push it the stronger the muscles will get the sooner the pain will go away. I do wish you all the best and I really hope you get better soon no matter whether its your first or like me the 6th its going to hurt but you will get better sooner. 
  • Posted

Today at therapy she measured my legs...the  2 months post op TKR left leg is 3 cm swollen still! I am on new anti inflammatory, new pain meds, icing and elevating, so WTF! How do I get rid of this? I am so very frustrated.  ROM is 115 but I am -5 in straight, doing everything I am suppose to, see surgeon next week.  Sure hope things get better by then.
    • Posted

Let me know when you're figured it all out.  6 mths po, and Im sitting here right now icing, and in pain... sooo frustrating.  would love to wake up in the morning and say , "hey, my knee pain is gone, yay..."

• Posted

There are two things to consider about the swelling...

1. The knee will look larger than the other for about a year.  Accept it.  That natural, internal swelling takes a looooong time to subside...even without any external stimulation.  It just takes time...period.  At 1 year, I could still tell it looked a tad larger.  Maybe it's also because I have a GIANT MECHANICAL DEVICE inside my leg???  Actually, no.  I'm 2 1/2 years and can't see any difference.  Your cannot expect all the swelling to be gone at your stage in the recovery...not even possible.

2. Regardless of the normal, decreasing swelling in your knee, doing more than the knee can handle on any given day will absolutely result in "balloon knee"...usually a three day event.  It's not about distance or time...it's about STEPS.  Get a fit bit or other pedometer and track your steps...every day.  The included software hooked to your phone or computer will chart your progress.  Get a balloon knee?  You pushed it too far.  Back off, ice, elevate and resume gradually.  This should only have to happen once you you to learn the lesson.  If it continues to happen, well...you need to have a talk with that person in the mirror...

Case in point...  At 5 weeks, I did 8,200+ steps as recorded on my device and paid dearly for it.  Never made the same mistake again.  By 8 months, I was recording 11,000+ steps (~ 5 miles) with zero symptoms.  It just takes time.  You really do have to give up all your expectations of how long this recovery takes.  Ignore whatever your mind is telling you...it's all crap.  The only thing that matters is the knee...and only THE KNEE controls you recovery.  Be good to it and it will be good to you. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.