8 wks post tkr

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am 8 wks po tkr on my left knee, had some complications like a blot clot and bad infection at first and didn't start pt until I was almost 2 wks po. Pt is going good and I'm walking pretty much without any aids, driving and only taking pain meds for therapy. I drive a truck for a living and I'm almost positive my surgeon is going to release me when I go to see him on the 31st. He will not give me anymore pain meds and had a problem giving me the last ones on the 4th of December. My surgery was on November 3rd. My bend is at 100% finally after all the problems I've had and I don't feel I should be released yet.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Good heavens, where are you?  I can't believe that you are being forced to go without pain meds, and be signed off at such an early stage!  Yes, you are obviously doing well, in spite a bad beginning, but for heaven's sake. . don't these surgeons understand what enormous trauma they are putting us through, and how heavy a toll both physical and mental an operation like this takes.  Maybe you are putting too brave a face on things when you see your (rather horrible) surgeon??  Might pay to try letting him see that not all is roses in your particular garden at the moment. I would have thought you  You needed  another month at least. . . . 
    • Posted

Me too but surgeon was extremely rude when i was there and really has no bedside manner. Only reason I used him is my nanny kept singing praises about him..he originally wanted to release me when I went back for a 6wk check up then he remembered I drove a truck and said no. I'm in Tennessee and thought about trying to get a 2nd opinion that he even did my knee right to begin with
    • Posted

Sounds as if you're doing well and the op was done right. Don't accept the no pain meds cos when you go back to work and normal you may need them. Another truck driver was on here last year and he really suffered as he went back too soon. When he finally went back again he stopped every two hours and did his Physio. Another month is perfectly reasonable and nothing is worth relapsing for. Otherwise just get over the counter meds ibrubrifen and or solpadeine - your surgeon sounds tough - but might be trying to sort the whingers from genuine need. I'd go back if you need to and insist on staying off work and otherwise go for second opinion though sound
    • Posted

Sounds as if you are perhaps putting on brave face and he doesn't realise the inner turmoil - mine was same - and it made me cross but still respect him as a surgeon. He made me pull myself together and self help to better recovery. You will need your muscles and nerves healed before driving - good luck
    • Posted

Trust me I'm not putting on a brave face. Surgeon knows how much pain I'm in but he also knows I'm going to be driving an automatic truck so he thinks I'll be ok. There's alot of prescription drug abuse in the area I'm living in so I can understand a little bit but not to try and wean me off pain meds way before Im totally recovered. The nurse even looked shocked when she heard him refuse to refill my pain meds. I have an allergic reaction to vocoder so he gave me percocet and that's what I've been taking. I don't want to go back too soon and relapse and can't have pain medication on my truck so wouldn't be able to take any with me anyways.
    • Posted

When he took my staples out he left one in and I had to take it out. Man did that hurt! He wants me to do my right knee next as its pretty bad too but I believe I'm gonna wait until I save up enough money again then I'll find a different doctor to have it done
  • Posted

I am also 8 weeks post op to the day and I had my final appointment with my surgeon last week. I told him that I has incisional pain, burning and stinging but the real pain happens around 5 a.m. every morning. This is when I take one 5 mgm oxycodone to get some relief from the deep, unending pain within my knee.

When I left the hospital nearly 8 weeks ago,  they gave me a prescription for oxycodone 5 mg. the directions were 'take 1 or 2 tablets every 4 hours for pain". I have never taken more than 2 of those in one 24 period and take them only when I absolutely can't stand the unrelenting pain. Other non-prescription medications have little effect for this particular pain. He told me that I really shouldn't get another refill and should come off the oxy. I know that the drug can be addictive, I understand that, I'm a nurse. But taking one or even two 5 mgm oxycodone for severe pain for a 24 hour period is not going to make me addicted to oxycodone.

I think that the fear that the medical community has that a patient will become addicted to narcotics results in them under-prescribing for responsible patients that would benefit relief of pain without becoming addicted. I have about 8 of my original 30 tablet bottle remaining and I treat them like treasures only to be used in the most dire circumstance of pain. It shouldn't be that way. I should not have to suffer deep pain that lasts for hours just because I am guarding and protecting the few pills that I have left. I don't think that even the surgeons realize what pain a patient with a new TKR suffers and for how long.

• Posted

Oh trust me I know exactly how you feel about the pain meds. I only use mine as a last resort and to do therapy. The surgeon sent over my orders for pt and it stated they should do work conditioning therapy so I go twice a week and they work my leg alot. I don't mind it and when I feel pain I stop but I still have to take at least 1 pill before I go or I'll be screaming and crying and the pain is mainly on the left side of my knee and the burning undetneath. I have a high tolerance for pain but those two areas make me want to cry.

I also have just begun to have incision pain but that just started today and I'm hoping that it's because I've been very active today with doing laundry, cleaning and cookin gn but not too sure. Will see about how it feels tomorrow. Sometimes I regret having this surgery and think I should have just amputated instead. Hoping for better days ahead

• Posted

I felt like that until I saw that a young girl trapped in a roller coasterhad both legs amputated and then I was determined to move on as best I could. We are all here for you and this is a long hard journey but the key is managing the pain, getting some decent sleep and doing the physion pretty much daily for the long haul - try not to overdo it - early days for you still - soon the pain will be discomfort and stiffness and gradually a day will come when life is not dominated by 'the knee' but even now at 11 months I still say 'watch my knee' and am worried about tripping over x
    • Posted

The pain pills make me get a headache so even just taking them for therapy drives me nuts. So far I've been using naproxin and ibuprofen 800 for the pain also ice or heat. Insurance will only pay for 15 more visits but once January 1st rolls around I have the deductibles again and won't be able to go as I have no money. I can deal with the pain that doesn't bother me except at night
  • Posted

You  cannot be released after ony 2 months that is ridiculous.

I had TKR 3 and a half years ago.

I had a 6 week post op appointment with my sugeon and another post op a year later.

At my yearly post op I saw one of my surgeons registrars who was present during the operation and he said they usually relase after a year but my knee was very bad and I had had previous surgery done many years ago by another surgeon so they wanted to see me again in another year. So I was finally relased 2 years after my operation!!

I had an excellent surgeon and would recommend him to anyone.

I live in Wales but had my operation in Hereford in England.

Hope you continue to improve.

Take care and keep in  touch

Sarah

• Posted

sounds like a fantastic surgeon ,mine just didnt want to know when things went wrong so you were very lucky but in saying that all surgeons should be like that .when i had a revision i had one visit after 6wks and that was it CRAZY !!!
    • Posted

My doctor is a quack..he told me the last time I was there I should be going back to work here shortly so that's why I think I'm getting released on Thursday. If I call his office for something even a simple question I don't get a reply and end up having to call the emergency room doctor for answers.
    • Posted

Your experience with your surgeon and his staff being unavailable to you when you need them is just unacceptable, and I'd tell them that too. This is exactly why I strongly encourage anyone that's considering replacement surgery to do extensive and I really do mean exhaustive research of both the surgeon and hospital way in advance. Read about their outcomes, the type of replacements they use, what method for measuring the angle of hip-knee-ankle and most importantly patient reviews. You want to know how good the office staff is, how they address your concerns or inquiries, how prompt they are. It's all important. When all the elements line up, best surgeon, best staff, best hospital ....THEN it's the time to move forward with confidence.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.