8 year back pain & been told NO to an MRI

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have suffered for 8 years with back pain after my ex pushed me over & I landed flat on my backside. For 6 years I walked about in pain, not being able to sit for any longer than 30 mins without being in agony - After putting up a major fight with my GP, I was eventually sent to an orthopaedic surgeon who referred me for an MRI - it turned out I had a broken coccyx in 2 places & he wanted to try me on steroids into the affected area. After just 1, it didn't work & he decided to do a coccyjectomy (take it out) That was 3 yrs ago this April & still I'm in agony, but this pain radiates from my lower back up to my waist height. It's so debilitating that I cannot stand for any longer than 2 minutes, the same with sitting, I walk with a limp & cannot lift either leg higher than 6 inches without screaming in agony. I'm now on my 6th day of being bed ridden. I've been to my GP & asked for a referral for an MRI to be told that they've had that taken away from them as doctors & that only phyios can refer patients. I was in tears. I'm already on cocodamol & Oxycodone, so she then gave me Naproxen & Diazepam to take. She also gave me Lansoprazole so it didn't affect my stomach. She said she really felt for me but had to refer me back to the physio who I'd previously walked out on. The physios opinion was that : I HAD TO LIVE WITH IT FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE AS THERE'S NOTHING CAN BE DONE. I'm 45 yrs old & could have another 40yrs of life left in me. 8 years of suffering is enough. Why can't GPs refer any1 for an MRI & can I override the physio & get it done. I can't work because of my back, so rely on benefit to get through, so couldn't even pay to go private. I am so depressed because of this - I just want to live a normal life & not have to depend on opiates forever. SORRY FOR LONG POST, but any help is appreciated. Many thanks xx

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

ouch...... my heart goes out to you! .......  have you ever tried hydrotherapy.....indoor .... warm pool......water exercises and massage...... you should check in your area...... I am 60 and in the same situation as you only I have been suffering with bone pain since childhood.......  wouldn't you like these doctors to live in our bodies for 2 days just to see what we go through..... they do NOT understand......you need to have an orthopedist order the MRI....not the GP..... don't know why but that is how it is..... unless you pay for the MRI yourself ( very expensive) ....... change your physio from land work to the water..... you will be amazed....... acupuncture helped me...... 

I will add you to my club and prayer list! lol.......  I hope to read better updates soon.... don't worry how long your posts are........  vent ..... who better to vent to then those who are in the same situation......

Hugs.......

• Posted

I fractured my coccyx being hit by a car once so I know exactly what you you are going through.

Tell them no way you are going back to a physio and that you want referred back to a consultant as they should be able to come up with a solution to your problem.

Very often physiotherapy in these circumstances can often make matters worse.

How have you been during the last few years?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.