8 years Citalopram 40mg now not working

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi there I hope there are some upto date reviews . I suffer badly depression and M.E known chronic fatigue.,,. Anyway I’m 56 and have just found I’m a whirl wind ... going crazy in my head can’t cope with anything feel mad in my eyes head etc episodes of crying all the time ... anyway today broke down to my GP who has given me Mirtrazapine 10mg to start after weaning of citalopram.. I’ve suffered with Anorexia in late teens and begged her not to prescribe any thing that would put on weight ... that is vital to me as I will just get worse anxiety depression etc... all I keep reading is about weight gain I’m

Really anxious and panicking now ... can anybody help me upto date ? 

Thanks for reading 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Julia

I know you say the citalopram was not working but presumably that AD did not make you gain weight.  Unfortunately mirtazapine is a terrible drug for weight gain.  It slows down the metabolism and is given to treat patients with anorexia.  I stopped taking this drug myself as it made me gain weight despite being an active runner and eating a low calorie healthy diet.  Perhaps you should ask for a weight neutral AD.  I'm afraid the doctors know very little about these drugs but the patients posting on this forum will give you an accurate account, as they have been through the side effects and have no reason to make false claims.

I wish I could be more upbeat but this drug did not work for me

• Posted

That Is so helpful thank you .... my husband felt if I get better sleep then I’ll feel more like being more refreshed and focused.... I am a slimming world girlie!! All my family overweight apart from me so it’s so important I don’t go down that road .... thank u for taking time to reply hope u start to get some normality soon 
  • Posted

Hi Julia

I don’t know what to say apart from I suffer like you with some sort of fatigue syndrome.

I am currently on 30 mirtazapam and to be honest it made me hungry for a week and that was it.

I absolutely detest mirtazapam and wish I had never started it as it’s difficult to come off it so I’ve heard. I was on 45mg now 30 mg and struggling like you with depression. I’m sorry that I may of not been much help but I don’t think 10mg will cause you any problems.

I will always be here for you if you need a chat as depression is a lonely place and with the pain of ME which I had in the past only makes things worse

Chris 

• Posted

Chris, please correct your posts as you may be misleading some followers. The drug is MIRTAZAPINE. 

Thanks

• Posted

Apologies for the spelling mistake James how do I correct it 
  • Posted

Mirtazapine has caused weight gain for me.....7.5 for 9 months 
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply Marion

im seriously thinking about this Seriously now 

I had such a long appointment today as well but only had couple with this gp

Ive called her back to see what my options are now 

thanks again Marion 

hope your managing ok 

• Posted

Hi Julia, I’ve just stopped mirtazapine. Was on it for 14 weeks for anxiety. Started on 15mg then increased to 30mg. Wonderful tablet to help me sleep but made me feel tired all the time. Was sleeping 10 hours at night and still having to sleep during the day. Decided this isn’t a life, I have MS and I struggle with tired anyway some days but this was making me worse. I’ve been off it now for 11 days and I’m still feeling tired, must be the tablets still in my system. Certainly wasn’t the best antidepressant for me and I won’t be taking it again. 
    • Posted

Oh I’m sorry to hear that.... MS is debilitating enough.... thank you for replying I’ve now taken the action called my GP as on well known medical website apparently this is one of the most common side affects for this

particular Anti depressants 

Thank you again 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.