80% lateral meniscus removed

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

I am a 31 year old female. Just over 2 weeks ago I had 80% of my lateral meniscus cartilage removed as it was so damaged and causing pain and swelling in the knee.

The surgeon says I am at higher risk of developing arthritis but could not give me a time frame on when this might happen. He suggests I get myself on an NHS waiting list for meniscal transplant (which seems like a major op and long recover)

I am hoping if I stop doing anything high impact (running, skiing, jumping etc) and stick to swimming and cycling I will be able to stop the arthritis happening without need for further surgery....

Has anyone else had such a large portion of their lateral meniscus cartilage removed? How have you felt since the op? Have you gone on to develop problems?

The surgeon really scared me and I was upset - I am only 31 and he suggested I no longer hike(!) and should wear an off-loading brace just to walk 15 mins to and from work... seems like overkill or am I underestimating the problem?

I am 10 days post op and knee is feeling very good.

Any thoughts or advice will be helpful

Thanks so much,

L

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.