80yo F with Large Pleural Effusion after lobectomy

Posted , 1 user is following.

80 year old healthy female with type 2 diabetes. Prior to surgery, would walk 5mi per day. My doctor performed a RATS lobectomy to remove ground glass nodule. He insisted that I did not need a chest tube and sent me home.

2 weeks later I presented with a moderate pleural effusion. Underwent thoracentesis but they did not send samples to lab. Removed 1.5L of fluid. Taking Lasix. 2 months after surgery the pleural effusion is back and taking up half the right cavity. My doctor now wants to put in a chest tube. Said he won't know what the etiology is until he goes in and takes a look. Very concerned that pleural effusion will come back (have trouble breathing, fatigue, feinting, can only walk 2 blocks).

How long should drain be left in place? He wants me in hospital for 1 night.

What is probability that I will be cured after chest tube surgery?

What is the most likely root cause of this pleural effusion?

If I don't do surgery, what is the chance that Pleural Effusion will resolve on its own?

The longer I wait to do surgery, does the chance of success go down? For example, does pleural space become fibrous?

imageimageimageimage

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.