83 years old with recurring mild shingles

Posted , 6 users are following.

About 2 months ago I developed a small rash on my forehead. Because it was also on my eyelid I visited my GP.  It was diagnosed as shingles and I was prescribed medication and zovirax. Because the symptoms soon disappeared I stopped taking the huge tablets. However, since then I keep getting eruptions on face legs and arms. These are not accompanied by any nerve pain.  As I do not want to compromise my otherwise good health I wonder if I should make a further visit to MC.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I definetly would go. my shingles disappeared then my antivirals script was finished. 4 days later I broke out worse then the first time. now my vision is compromised. it's been 3.5 weeks since i could see normally.

26yr, F.

• Posted

Dear Brenda,

Please go back to your physician immediately as your immune system is compromised. You would not have gotten shingles if it were not. Even though the Zovirax tablets are large, you should have completed the tablets prescribed as they prevent replication of the virus and therefore reduce the eruption from occurring. Zovirax is actually smaller than another antiviral medication.

I do hope you are feeling better.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Yes, got back to you doctor. Generally shingles follows the path of a specific nerve, so it's not as likely to have a rash on various parts of your body at once, but I'm not a doctor. Are you saying you have a rash on your face, both arms and both legs? There may be something else going on such as an allergic reaction to something or insect bites. This is a quandry. Something similar happened to my husband very recently. He's had shingles three times, twice within the last year. Three weeks ago, we again thought he had shingles as he had bumps on his back and leg, so he was given the anti-virals. We mentioned this to our son-in-law, who with my husband was sitting outside at night. They both had itchy bites on several parts of their body. So, the doctor thought shingles with the initial visit, but as he had it on both legs and his back, I'm leaning towards gnat bites.

So, these are hard to figure out, but it's worth asking your doctor and being specific about the symptoms, location of the rash/eruptions and the time frame from when this all happened.  Take care.

• Posted

Brenda I'm posting this here 'cause I want Merry and others to see this. I've had recurring Shingles and PHN( Ramsay Hunt) for a couple of years now. Have tried quite a few different regimes for the pain, fatigue, etc. I've been taking Kelp as of late and it really seems to help.

• Posted

I did visit a GP and she doesn't think I have shingles at all. Maybe dry skin and has prescribed Epimax. I still have doubts but will give it a go.  My spots are quite pale but do sting and itch. Thanks to everyone who has responded.

• Posted

Dear Brenda, First of all, you needed to take the entire treatment of Zovirax. I would go back to the dr and finish the meds. Anytime the rash is near the eyes, it should be a concern, as it can affect your vision. I would also try olive leaf extract. You can get it at a health food store.Also taking Vit D3 with Vit K3 is supposed to help in killing the virus. I wish you the best.
    • Posted

Many thanks for your import Susan. I did go back to a GP and her verict was that I never had shingles in the first place. I am totally convinced so will see my own GP.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.