85 year old with brain cancer, what to expect?

Posted , 1 user is following.

So I just found out that my 85 year old grandpa has been recently diagnosed with brain cancer. I'm not sure for how long he's had it or how bad it is.

He had been slightly forgetful for a couple years, and his motricity wasn't the best either, but being in his 80s he wasn't that much worse than us "young" ones, he was capable of taking care of himself in every way except driving, and most importantly he was healthy, no high blood pressure, diabetes or anything like that (he even holds a decent amount of hair).

Just last Christmas we were talking and everything seemed fine, although some things he kept repeating like asking how someone is doing and then again in a couple minutes but that's about it, he's always had a good humour and he was laughing and making jokes like usual.

Then, a couple of months ago, he started having memory issues, like forgetting what he had for breakfast, or the day it was, which then progressed to not recognizing most people (or anyone I'm not sure). He is basically unable to stand or walk by himself and he's also lost most of his toilet abilities. His speech has also been affected, sometimes he can form short sentences but often he can't.

An aunt who takes care of him told us he asked her every day if he ever had kids of his own.

I'd like to know from someone who has been close to someone with this condition, what can be expected from it. How does this usually progress, what can we do to help or ease the situation for him?

Anything will help, it's a sad moment for us.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.