8mm Lesion found on head of pancreas. Scared!!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had an abdominal CT scan before beginning treatment for breast cancer and they found an 8mm lesion on the head of the pancreas "most likely cystic in nature". Main duct WAS NOT dilated. I now need a follow up MRI. I am very worried even though I have read that these incidental findings are very common and usually benign. I am 76 and in excellent health except for breast cancer and pancreatic lesion!!!! Can anyone offer some supportive and encouraging experiences? Thanks.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I don't have any advice, just wanted you to know you're not alone. I can't say I'm generally healthy, I have 6 different chronic health and pain conditions, and 3 of them are listed as rare. Lol. I still had pushed through and worked full time until September of last year, and I have not been able to walk since. I developed complex regional pain syndrome in my left foot and leg after two surgeries. I was medically terminated in December. I applied for disability in January, and after talking with the lady again this week, she thinks I'll be approved by May. Unfortunately, the $1,100 check I will get will mean I'm over income for medicaid in Idaho, so then I have to go through a process of applying for another program to get it. Grrr.

Sorry, I tried to make that brief as a background for my intended statement. I went to my PCP just for a yearly and he did a complete bloodwork panel. Called me that night stating all my LFT's (liver function tests) were elevated along with my triglycerides and VLDL, and my BUN/Creatinine ratio was also elevated. Got me in for an abdominal ultrasound on the last day my insurance was effective. They found all my intrahepatic and extrahepatic ducts were dilated, there were no stones, and they are referring me to a gastroenterologist for "further characterization of pancreas mass with MRI and MRCP ". . And here I'm stuck as I can't do anymore tests or anything until I have insurance. I'm poor and recently disabled so my life doesn't matter. It just makes me so mad.I sit here knowing I've got a mass in my pancreas (they said head too) and my doctor even told me they think it's the C word, but I can't do anything until I jump through enough hoops for the government.

I'll keep an eye on these boards and see how you come along. Maybe all will be OK since they think your's is cystic and there are no dilated ducts? Sounds good to me! I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for you!

Mary

• Posted

Thanks for responding. Don't ever think that your life doesn't matter. It does. I wish you good luck.
  • Posted

Hello Cathy,

My experience is like this:

Last year it was discovered that my pancreas has cysts, calcifications, inflammation, scar tissues. This has probably been going on for years and years.

Never had any trouble from it. I am now 65 years old and still no major problems from it all.

Hope you will be fine as well.

All the best

• Posted

Hope your big C gets resolved know what you're going through, wife just hopefully finishing her treatment for cervical c

I have chronic pancreatitis and take Creon to ease my pain along with pain killers . If your on face book there's a fantastic site called the pancreatic tree with loads of help and support worth visiting

Get well soon

Kevin x

• Edited

So sorry about your diagnosis of breast cancer.  My mother was diagnosed at about the same day and fully recovered and lived to 96. 

I too have a scar and calcifications in my pancreas.  I'm on Creon and other than so wanting a greasy, drippy hamburger, I'm sticking to the diet and doing very well. 

Sending prayers that all turns out OK. 

• Posted

Poptop, thanks for your response. Glad to hear about your mom. Breast cancer isn't what it used to be. Hope this lesion is nothing. Having a MRI next week. From all I've read they're getting to be found very often as incidental findings. I have no symptoms, so I'm hopeful it will be followed for a few years with no changes. The word "pancreas" strikes fear in your heart. Stay away from that hamburger‼️
    • Posted

If you guys are on face book

Try the pancreatic tree great site and plenty of advice from fellow CP sufferers

• Posted

Woodywhite:  Great idea.  Unfortunately, it is a closed group and if anything like the other group I joined, it was weeks before I was accepted and wanted to talk with folks with similar experiences sooner. 
  • Posted

Cathytoo:  Hopefully it's like my liver cyst.  Have had it for years and years and it's a nothing.  Each time a new doctor sees it they get all worried until I show them reports from years back. 

Sending you more good thoughts.

• Posted

Thanks for the good thoughts. Hoping it will show as a cyst and just require yearly checking. Going for MRI In a week or two.
  • Posted

I hope you feel better by now. Please let me know how the situation now with this lesion in your pancreas. The CAT SCAN found similar lesion. thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.