8weeks on escitalopram

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, have been on 5mg cit for exactly 8 weeks tomorrow, last week i had three days when i thought i was completely over the anxiety, then for no apparent reason it was back, light headed, nauseous, breathless and funny feelings in my legs, and of course thoughts that something is wrong with me, is this normal? do you think it's still early or should i ask my doctor to up the dose, i happen to live in France and i'm not very fluent with the language but read the leaflet that comes with the tabs that 5mg is a normal dose for over 65s ( i am a relatively fit 71 ), and also can i ask others what form of breathless do you get, i can take full breaths but sometimes i only have to do the most menial of tasks and i'm breathless but when i'm not anxious i can do most things, walk around a golf course for 4 hours, 45mins on my tread mill and feel fine it seems i only get breathless when i am anxious.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

hi john, have you tried belly breathing? might help calm your anxiety. Its a horrible feeling. I would wait a few more weeks and if it still bothers you ask about upping the dose. 10mg is the starting dose of citralopram here. All the best and well done for keeping up with the exercise

• Posted

Thanks Lou, yes i do practice my breathing, it has helped but nothing seems to help when the anxiety kicks in, i just have to wait it out until it passes which can be a couple of days, the hardest thing is convincing yourself there is nothing wrong with you, on good days i'm convinced i am perfectly healthy, then bang it comes from nowhere and think am back to square one.

• Posted

hi john i am exactky the same as you - been getti g the breathlessness thing a lot too. And i thought i was getting back as well but now back to square with a blip. i an on 20. Here in NZ they say 20 is minimum therapeuric dose tho lots on here have said theyve got better on 10

• Posted

awwww john I understand. Its a horrible feeling. What about a very low dose of diazapam to help in emergencies. They are addictive but I break them in half and they do really help. Big hugs to you

• Posted

Hi Lou, i was on bromazapam for 18 months, when i came off them i suffered the most horrendous withdrawal symptoms for a couple of weeks, in fairness to my doctor he did say that i could take one if i felt i needed until the escitalopam started working but i chose to come off completely, probably a bad move but i ididn't want to become dependent on them again, i did take one after about 3 weeks and it worked ok but feel it would be too easy to reach for one every time i felt bad, am determined to beat this and will give the escitalopram a chance to do its job, am going back to the UK for christmas and being with a lot of family i know i'll have a week free of anxiety, thank you for your kind words and support, keep well. John

• Posted

sorry just realised you aee escitalopram - equivalent would be 10 as therapeutic dose. i am on citalopram

• Posted

Thanks tamsin, have 1 month left on my prescription so will see how it goes then have a word with my doctor. see you are in NZ was there in Feb visiting friends, funnily enough when i go away so does my anxiety, i suppose my mind is elsewhere and don't have time to dwell on things.

• Posted

you are really lucky john that yiu have that - sonetimes im better when im away sometimes worse. i am taking lorazepam at the monent / for 6 weeks so far. really hoping that ill be ok when i stop them. im sure youll be ok and the escit will work. im sure winter doesnt help. i hope you have a lovely christmas with your family x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.